Sunday, September 29, 2024

Students camp for homes

Business sophomore Laura Dutkowski, left, and finance sophomore Leah Moehlig set up a tent on Sunday outside Community Resource Management Co., 243 W. Grand River Ave., on Sunday. They arrived at 9:30 a.m., hoping to be first in line to rent a house on Gunson Street.

Huddled between blankets and tents, several students camped out this weekend to lease their top housing choice from the Community Resource Management Co. on Sunday.

Sign-ups for next year's leases begin today at the company's offices, 243 W. Grand River Ave..

By mid-afternoon on Sunday, about 30 students had already staked their place in line.

The first students arrived on the steps of the company's offices at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.

"We wanted to get our first choice," said mechanical engineering sophomore Eric Skoug, who was with the first group of students at the campout.

Many students said they chose to camp out so they could lease the house they wanted. Several students even compared potential houses with one another to see if they had any competition.

The company offers numerous houses and apartments, many of which are downtown. Leases are for one year, starting either in May or August, and range from a two-person to a 50-person occupancy. Rental fees range from $525 per month to $10,600 per month.

Company officials could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

Most students said they came early Sunday to get a spot in line.

"The sooner you get here, the better chance (you have) for a good house," said psychology and communication senior Laura Clemons, who came at 7:30 a.m. with a number of other students.

The campout is not required of those who wish to sign a lease, but many students said they knew about it from others who participated in previous years.

"We visited some houses, and they told us to get here early," accounting sophomore David Demallie said. "(We're) just taking their advice."

International relations and economics sophomore Brett Staron said the cold nights don't bother him, especially since he had a small heater to keep him warm.

"The cold is part of the experience," Staron said.

Share and discuss “Students camp for homes” on social media.