Tuesday, October 22, 2024

3 years of research, 150 years of history

It's been almost 50 years since a book chronicling the history of MSU has been published by the university.

But to celebrate MSU's 150th birthday and to bring the world up-to-date on what has been happening in East Lansing, this month university officials will release the first volume of a three-volume set of books detailing Spartan history.

The first volume will print at more than 500 pages and will be released to the MSU public on Dec. 15. Two more volumes are set to be released in the fall of 2005 and the spring of 2006.

The set is part of MSU's sesquicentennial celebration, which commemorates the founding of MSU as a land-grant institution. Land-grant legislation was passed in 1862 to provide an affordable education.

About 10 major events and many other programs are planned for the 15-month celebration.

Sue Carter, co-chairperson of the Sesquicentennial Steering Committee, said a book detailing MSU's history fits in perfectly with part of the academic and intellectual focus of the sesquicentennial.

"One way to honor and to celebrate MSU's uniqueness is with a detailed history of the university," Carter said.

The volume released in December will cover the first 70 years of MSU's history, from 1855 through 1925. The book, "Michigan Agricultural College: The Evolution of a Land Grant Philosophy," will focus mainly on the university's land-grant traditions, said Fred Bohm, director of the MSU Press.

"It outlines the way in which MSU was really a pioneering institution in higher education," Bohm said. "We're sometimes kidded about people calling us a cow college, but it was so much more than that."

The first volume was written by Keith Widder - an author who has published a slew of books about Michigan history and even one about MSU's start as Michigan Agricultural College.

It took Widder three years to compile the history, as he sifted through piles of old newspapers, manuscripts and MSU library and museum materials.

The book describes the conflict between the university and many Michigan farmers over the role that MSU should play in agriculture in the state.

It also delves into the land-grant philosophy and how it helped to strengthen democracy, Widder said.

Widder said MSU has such a long history, it was difficult for him to decide what to print.

"One of challenges you face is how to determine what info has to be included and remain focused on what the main themes of the book are," Widder said. "The major challenge was to try to stay on course. There was an incredible number of interesting avenues I came across but couldn't go down."

Share and discuss “3 years of research, 150 years of history” on social media.