Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Environment, politics focus of Kennedy lecture

The election might be over, but candidate criticism is not.

Prominent environmental lawyer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will discuss his new book, "Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking our Democracy."

The lecture about the environmental destiny of the United States will take place 7 p.m. Thursday at Wharton Center.

"President Bush is the worst environmental president in American history," Kennedy said. "He has put polluters in charge of agencies that protect against pollution.

"These people entered the government not to serve the public, but to subvert the laws they're enforcing."

Kennedy serves as chief prosecuting attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper, an organization committed to protecting the Hudson River in New York. He is also a clinical professor at Pace University School of Law in New York.

"He has extensive experience in not only litigating environmental law cases, but in observing and commenting on the structure of regulating the environment," said Terence Blackburn, dean of the MSU College of Law. "His particular point of view is one which I think the students will find very interesting."

Although he is experienced in environmental law, Kennedy's lecture will not focus on the courtroom, Blackburn said.

"He is not teaching the practice of environmental law, but his concerns over the degradation of the environment and the need for people to become vigilant protectors of the environment through law and policy," Blackburn said.

Kennedy said the current White House administration will be catastrophic for public health.

"One out of six women have mercury in their womb that can cause autism, blindness and a permanent loss of IQ in their children," Kennedy said.

"An area the size of Delaware will literally be blown off the tops of the Appalachian Mountains through top mining, which a judge declared illegal under the Clean Water Act. Bush had the act rewritten to allow top mining."

David Favre, faculty chairman for the environmental and natural resources law concentration in the MSU law school, said Kennedy will shed light on events in the capital.

"He has a tremendous amount of experience at the national level," Favre said. "He can bring to us in the Midwest what is happening in Washington, D.C."

Alissa DeGrow, president of the Environmental Law Society at MSU, said Kennedy takes an interesting approach to the environment.

"He has a completely different perspective on the environment as opposed to the current administration," DeGrow said. "I want to hear why he thinks his way is more beneficial."

Although not necessarily supportive of his ideals, law student Tim Allen said he plans to attend the lecture.

"As long as he's here, I want to check him out," Allen said. "I'm not a big Kennedy fan, but I still want to hear what he has to say."

The presentation is free to the public, but tickets are required. Tickets are available at Wharton Center or at the law school.

A book signing will be held before the lecture at 6 p.m. at the MSU College of Law lobby.

Share and discuss “Environment, politics focus of Kennedy lecture” on social media.