Monday, October 21, 2024

WEB ONLY: Health Organization welcomes 'U' student

Nagesh Borse always knew he would participate in activities with organizations like the World Health Organization one day, but he wasn't sure how to go about it.

After attending a fair showcasing international health at the Union last fall, Borse nabbed an internship with WHO and will be one of a small number of graduate and post-graduate students across the country to intern with the group this summer in Switzerland.

"I've always wanted to go to Switzerland," he said. "I never though it would come so early in life."

The three-month internship in Geneva starts on May 30 and lasts until Aug. 20. It is part of Syracuse University's Division of International Programs Abroad, the school's study abroad program. While in Geneva, the master's student will be participating on the Vaccine Assessment and Monitoring team of the department of Immunization, Vaccines, and Biologicals.

Borse enjoys epidemiology because it is the study of the spread of disease within an entire population, rather than within a single individual. The native of Bombay, India, has been interested in the state of health in Third World countries since before college.

"I always used to read in papers about health and inequalities between developed and undeveloped countries," he said.

An opportunity like this is unheard of for international students, Borse said. He is the only member of his family who has traveled overseas and he hopes his work will contribute to his country.

"Being from a city of India, I can compare Michigan and India and perceive differences in health and hygiene," he said.

"I'm happy to contribute to India as well as other countries that need help."

Borse has received four different scholarships and other funding to help pay for the trip. He has received a fellowship from Michigan State, a tuition grant from Syracuse University, graduate funding and funding from the Department of Epidemiology.

"Otherwise, it was difficult for me," he said. "As an international student, you can't afford to have that kind of money just for a three-month project."

Borse currently is busy working on his master's thesis on breast-cancer research. His advisor for the thesis, Dorothy Pathak, is impressed with Borse's accomplishment.

Pathak said a letter she received from program officials at Syracuse University indicated it was Nagesh's outstanding academic résumé that influenced their decision to choose him as one of the recipients of this award.

"We were all very pleased," Pathak said. "This is something that will provide him with a great start for what I anticipate to be a very long and productive career in international health."

Nagesh never anticipated he would get such opportunities after coming to the United States to study.

"So many good things have happened since I came to MSU."

Share and discuss “WEB ONLY: Health Organization welcomes 'U' student” on social media.