Friday, May 3, 2024

Whoever made up the phrase, 'It's all good' didn't know music

Last week I wrote about how I give all music a chance. And that's true. But when it's bad, it's bad, and the following genres are really bad.

5. Disco

Why it sucked: It was fruity, poppy, lame and pointless. It required no talent whatsoever and it didn't even sound good.

When the genre comes to mind, I think: Why do '70s artists, such as Ronnie Van Zant, have to die, yet Donna Summer is still alive?

It makes me wanna: Go back in time and erase disco.

4. Rapcore/rap-rock/rap-metal

Why it sucked: Groups that play rapcore can't spell and also have problems writing lyrics.

When the genre comes to mind, I think: Of being a sophomore in high school and seeing all the poser kids trying to be something they're not.

It makes me wanna: Ask Korn what the hell they were thinking when they got Fred Durst into the scene.

3. New country

Why it sucks: It completely desecrates the name of country music.

When the genre comes to mind, I think: Hank Williams is rolling over in his grave.

It makes me wanna: Join forces with Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and David Allan Coe, and start a revolution.

2. Emo

Why it sucks: It sounds like this: "Mwaaaa wah (excessive whining), my girlfriend doesn't like me anymore, whoa whoa, my blazer isn't vintage enough, wah."

When the genre comes to mind, I think: How out of touch I must be that everyone else seems to like this music.

It makes me wanna: Rip those thick-framed glasses off your face, and have someone give you a haircut with their eyes open for a change. Or at least not full of tears, wahhhhhh.

1. Teen pop

Why it sucks: Because it's just a marketing ploy, and these "artists" have no talent, duh.

When the genre comes to mind, I think: When did God create this crap? Couldn't he have rested on that day?

It makes me wanna: Move to a cabin in the northernmost Canadian territories with only a stove for heat, no electricity, no TV and my own private crop of necessary greens.

Honorable mentions go to: Nu-Metal (Godsmack), butt rock (Nickelback) and cheesy instrumentalists (John Tesh, Kenny G).

Megan Frye is Guns N' Roses' biggest fan, challenge her with GNR trivia at fryemega@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Whoever made up the phrase, 'It's all good' didn't know music” on social media.