Sunday, October 20, 2024

Student turns in self, toy gun after e-mail

The MSU student believed to have been walking around Shaw Hall with a gun early Wednesday was actually carrying a toy BB gun, officials said Thursday.

An 18-year-old male student turned himself into police late Wednesday and admitted that he was the person reported to be carrying the gun. The gun, a toy replica of a semiautomatic weapon, was confiscated by police, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

The student, who was not identified, was cited under the university's weapons ordinance and could face additional legal consequences.

Hall staff, conducting rounds of the building early Wednesday, reported seeing the student with a gun but initially were unable to identify the student or positively verify that the object was a gun.

Shaw Hall Complex Director Tracy Bobertz sent an e-mail to all dorm residents Wednesday evening, notifying them that the incident had occurred. At the time, officials were working on a description of the individual.

In addition to the e-mail, meetings were held for night receptionists and for residents in the area of the dorm where the incident occurred, Bobertz said.

Bobertz issued a follow-up e-mail Thursday to notify students the incident was resolved.

"It is very unfortunate that this event occurred; however, the staff and community executed a wonderful response in their efforts to maintain the safety of 'our home' in Shaw Hall," Bobertz wrote.

Shaw Hall residents said they were concerned after learning of the report Wednesday evening, especially in light of other incidents on MSU's campus in recent months.

During the spring semester, a student was assaulted at knife-point in his Case Hall dorm room by two people posing as charity solicitors. His roommate struck one of the intruders, causing them to run away.

That incident spurred a report on security measures on campus.

On that same night, three men assaulted a male student as he walked through the grassy area of campus south of the Union. The attackers stole a CD player from the victim.

In February, a student walking near the wooded area north of Abbot Hall said a man attacked her, attempting to remove her pants. The student wasn't injured by the attacker, who fled when a witness called 911.

Share and discuss “Student turns in self, toy gun after e-mail” on social media.