Wednesday, October 2, 2024

News briefs

Construction might delay Lansing traffic

Drivers should expect traffic delays beginning today when two Lansing streets close for railroad track crossing improvements.

The northernmost westbound lane of Michigan Avenue just east of Pennsylvania Avenue will be expected to be closed for a week. Although two lanes of westbound traffic as well as local access will be maintained, drivers are advised to seek alternate routes.

The City of Lansing Department of Planning and Neighborhood Development will be closing Pennsylvania Avenue to through traffic between Larned Street and Bement Street, north of the Interstate 496 overpass through Thursday, July 24.

A detour will be posted, which will direct northbound traffic west along St. Joseph Street to Larch Street, north to Kalamazoo Street and then east to Pennsylvania Avenue. Southbound traffic will be routed east at Kalamazoo Street to Clemens Avenue, south to Mount Hope Avenue, and then west to Pennsylvania Avenue.

Amy Davis

Meeting to discuss dangers of insect

East Lansing residents and landscapers are being warned of a new pest infesting and killing area trees.

The emerald ash borer, an insect that destroyed more than 6 million Detroit-area trees has been discovered in more than 50 ash trees in neighboring Meridian Township.

An informational meeting is being held 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium of the Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbott Rd., to inform residents about what's being done to safeguard area trees from future destruction.

Thousands of ash trees grow on public and private property in East Lansing, 817 of these trees line city streets, said David Smith, environmental specialist for East Lansing. Following the Detroit-area infestation no additional ash trees were planted by the city.

"There could be significant economic impacts to the city and our residents if (emerald ash borer) infests our community," Smith said in a written statement.

Borer beetle larvae kill ash trees by feeding beneath the bark and eating through trees. Smith estimated ash tree removal and replacement costs for public properties to be nearly $400,000.

First discovered in the United States last year, the beetle is believed to have come from Asia. Since its arrival in Michigan, it has caused hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage in the Southeast portion of the state, said Gary Heilig, horticulture agent for MSU Extension.

"When you find (infestation), you might as well remove the trees because they are going to die anyway," Heilig said.

Sarah Frank

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.