Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Rescuers undergo training

Police, fire units simulate possible water emergency

A car is released into Grand River by the Lansing Police Department and the Lansing Fire Department as part of a training scenario on Wednesday morning near downtown Lansing. The departments deployed the dive team to rescue a human dummy to make the training more realistic.

Lansing - Lansing's fire and police departments pushed a car and driver into a river Wednesday morning - on purpose.

The fire and police departments were working together for a water rescue training scenario at the Grand River's boat launch on River Street in Lansing.

The training simulates possible situations with both departments working together as if the rescue were real.

The fire department pushed the car, with a dummy as a driver, into the river at 10:30 a.m. and firefighters, along with police officers, were called to the scene.

Participants from both departments knew of the water rescue but were not told what time it would begin, said David Weisenberg, Lansing Fire Department battalion chief.

"It'll take them three minutes to get here," Lansing fire Capt. Marvin Helmker said. "The fire department will get here first with the Zodiak boat and look for victims."

The firefighters arrived at the river within two minutes. Once they were at the scene, they began pushing the Zodiak, a rubber lifeboat with an attachable motor, into the water to search for victims.

"We have active firefighters on duty today. This emphasizes the necessity of coordination," Weisenberg said.

After firefighters loaded the Zodiak and circled the area, the Lansing Fire Department's Underwater Rescue and Recovery Units arrived and divers began entering the water, where they located the victim and began resuscitation measures.

"Lansing has a lot of water, so this is a joint effort for the police and fire departments to work together," Weisenberg said.

People acting as witnesses were present at the training session to help the police department find the cause of the accident.

Deborah Brown, a "witness" at the accident, says she volunteered in support of the departments.

"This is so crucial for training and to see their response time," said Brown, a Lansing resident and wife of dive team Sgt. Joe Brown.

"I support them 100 percent and I want to see them do their best. Their dedication is unbelievable." she said.

Bill's Heavy Duty Wrecker Service, Inc., 5731 Enterprise Drive in Lansing, provided the tow trucks needed for the training session.

"They often call us for rescues and trainings," said Maggie Pentz, an employee of the company. "Anytime they have one I go, it's fun to watch."

The departments hold training sessions to stay alert, as they respond to several calls each year for actual water rescues, Helmker said.

Share and discuss “Rescuers undergo training” on social media.