Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Survey: Detroit might trouble candidates

Michigan residents aren’t seeing eye to eye with Detroit - a problem that could spell trouble for Michigan’s gubernatorial hopefuls.

A recent survey performed by MSU’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research, or IPPSR, shows that of 1,000 Michigan residents polled, 72 percent think Detroit officials should solve the city’s problems on their own.

Carol Weissert, director of the IPPSR and professor of political science, said that the views of constituents could sway state legislators’ actions in finding funding for Detroit.

“It really highlights the fact that there is a widespread public concern about Detroit,” said Weissert. “I think it’s a red flag.”

Detroit also is serving as a source of gubernatorial campaign controversy. Republican candidate Dick Posthumus alleged that a Aug. 28 memo from Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to Democratic candidate Jennifer Granholm outlined conditions for the mayor’s endorsement of Granholm’s campaign.

Posthumus claims that the memo included Kilpatrick’s request for 20 percent of state appointees under Granholm to be African American, that Detroiters would head six unnamed state agencies and that new state buildings be targeted for construction within city limits.

Posthumus also alleges that the memo requested priority state funding for Detroit.

“It’s something that was only a draft,” said House Democratic spokesman Dennis Denno, denying the memo’s credibility. “Posthumus in his desperation is trying to distort the truth.”

Denno added that the memo would not influence Detroit voters.

“At the end of the day you’re going to see Detroit voters voting overwhelmingly for Granholm,” he said.

Granholm and Posthumus camps maintained that Detroit remained a top priority for campaigning, despite the findings of the state’s negative opinions.

“We’ve been very warmly received there,” said Posthumus spokesman Sage Eastman. “In terms of turning over vacant properties and education reform, those are things can have a dramatic impact on the city.”

State legislative plans to alter their search for state aid to Detroit will remain unfazed, Denno said.

He said state Rep. Buzz Thomas III, D-Detroit, plans to continue bringing proposals to help solve Detroit’s problems to the state Legislature.

“As a legislator, Thomas has brought legislators from all over the state into the city,” Denno said.

“You can’t ignore the biggest city in the state and expect the state to do well. It’s just unrealistic. They’re not asking for more money, they’re just asking for their fair share.”

Weissert said the survey’s results mandate work for the city, regardless of the source of funding.

“If I was a Detroit public official, I would say I have some work to do,” she said.

Share and discuss “Survey: Detroit might trouble candidates” on social media.