Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Frito-Lay to unveil reduced-fat chips

Capital Area Transportation Authority bus driver Ron DeLeon purchases a bag of Doritos from Class Break employee Lala Martinez on Tuesday afternoon at the International Center. DeLeon previously worked for five years as a route sales driver for Frito-Lay, the company that manufactures Doritos, Tostitos, Cheetos and other snack chips.

Health-conscious Lena Miah isn’t convinced that Frito-Lay’s new line of reduced-fat snacks will provide a better snack choice.

The Texas-based company announced last month that by December it will offer consumers two new lines of reduced-fat snacks and switch to corn oil for the production of Doritos, Tostitos and Cheetos.

The Lay’s Reduced Fat chips line will contain 25 percent less fat than it’s original counterparts. That means a reduced-fat Big Grab size Doritos will have 9.75 grams of fat instead the 13 grams found in its original counterpart. The Cheetos Reduced Fat line will cut the total amount of fat in the products by 50 percent and will also be cooked in corn oil.

“It doesn’t matter that they switch oils,” the dietetics senior said. “They’re still killing all the nutrients by frying the foods.”

Miah said though the fat content is reduced, there is a great deal of fat in the product to begin with and, “there’s no real caloric content difference.”

On eating healthy, Miah said college students need to be more educated on how to read and understand the nutrition labels on food products.

“I was so ignorant about the nutritional value of the foods I ate,” she said.

“But since I started taking my nutrition classes, I have learned the importance of reading the labels.”

Frito-Lay officials said in a statement that they are committed to providing healthier snack options for their consumers.

“We’re taking several steps that will change the way America snacks,” Frito-Lay President and CEO Al Bru said. “And the great news is that there is no compromise in taste.”

Nutritional science senior Jessica Merritt said reduced-fat snacks can sometimes be deceiving.

“Most people see the reduced-fat label and think, ‘Oh I can eat more,’” she said. “They’re just defeating the purpose.”

But Merritt applauds Frito-Lay’s effort and pointed out that more can be done.

“These companies need to stress the importance of balanced meals - especially to college students,” she said.

“It’s important to have balanced meals. It’s OK to eat chips and snacks, but you must eat those in moderation and have fruits and vegetables, too.”

Frito-Lay offers nutritional information about its snacks on its web site at www.fritolay.com

Share and discuss “Frito-Lay to unveil reduced-fat chips” on social media.