Saturday, October 19, 2024

Crime not rising, but free legal services sees rush of students

The number of students getting free legal help from MSU’s graduate and undergraduate student governments has skyrocketed, but the director of ASMSU/COGS Legal Services says that’s a good thing.

At least 565 students have come to the Student Services law office for help so far this fall - 46 percent more than sought help in fall 2000, Legal Services director Rachel Huhn said.

But the increase doesn’t mean that more students are getting into trouble with the law. Instead, Huhn said, Legal Services has done a better job getting the word out to students.

“There’s been a lot more programs in the community,” she said. “The number of cases aren’t up. It has a lot to do with advertising.”

Legal Services is a free service open to MSU students who have paid their ASMSU or COGS taxes. The office, which employs two full-time attorneys, handles cases with landlords and tenants, criminal matters and matters such as traffic tickets. The office also provide advice to pre-law students and other students on university regulations.

Huhn said she and the lawyers have been going to residence halls to make students aware of the services available to them.

“I’m trying to work my way to the top people,” she said.

The office also works closely with the Student Defender Program, which provides students involved with a campus judiciary action with the counsel of a student who knows university regulations.

General business administration and pre-law freshman Kelly Cargor said knew the service was available to her, and wouldn’t hesitate to use it if she needed to.

“Not only is it free, but it’s around campus, and it’s probably a great way to get something accomplished without having to worry about a way to pay for it,” she said.

Huhn said another reason more students have come to use their services is because of ASMSU.

“The Student Assembly and Academic Assembly have been talking to their constituents,” she said.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said even though the legal services are experiencing an increase in the amount of students coming to see them, she isn’t seeing more students coming through the department with problems.

“Our stats are down,” she said, “and we’re very pleased with that.”

McGlothian-Taylor said more students are using the legal services now than before because they’re knowledgeable about the program.

“I’m sure they hear it through word-of-mouth,” she said. “It’s a free service and their funds are limited and so forth, so that would be the way to go for students.”

Share and discuss “Crime not rising, but free legal services sees rush of students” on social media.