Saturday, October 19, 2024

ASMSU learns of top officials resignation

ASMSU Academic Assembly representatives from various colleges were surprised Tuesday to find Association Director Joe Mignano had resigned about three weeks earlier.

At the assembly’s Tuesday meeting, James Madison representative Adam Raezle, asked assembly Chairperson Matt Clayson what had happened to Mignano, after Clayson had skipped over the director’s report for the third meeting in a row. The Academic Assembly only has met three times this semester.

“Is he ever going to come?” Raezler said in the meeting.

Mignano, the interim association director, e-mailed a letter of resignation to assembly leaders during Welcome Week, citing personal and health-related reasons. Mignano had the flu for two weeks during the summer.

“When I got sick, I fell behind on a lot of stuff, including my school work,” the social relations senior said. “I don’t think I would’ve been able to do the job they wanted me to.”

The association director is ASMSU’s chief of staff, working between both the Academic and Student assemblies and running the undergraduate student government’s internal staff.

Mignano was temporarily filling the position after the death of Charles Beachnau June 29.

Mignano has worked with ASMSU for two and a half years, serving as the vice chairperson of external affairs in 2001-2002.

“When he was done last year, he meant it,” Clayson said. “But he stepped in because he cares about the university.”

Clayson said Mignano will continue to help with the hiring process until a new director is chosen.

“It’s kind of nice to have someone who cares and who’s being responsible,” Clayson said. “And he doesn’t want any hard feelings.”

Mignano, after hearing of the conversation at the meeting, made an effort to reach the representatives to clear up the misunderstanding.

Student Assembly Chairperson Matt Weingarden said the position is now open for students to apply - but only until Friday. An interviewing process will begin to fill the position as quickly as possible.

Weingarden said he appreciates Mignano’s help during a difficult time.

“We weren’t looking to fill the position,” he said. “We were looking for help. And because of him, we were able to continue a lot of what Charles had been working on.”

Mignano chose not to apply for the position in the fall and will use the time to focus on school work.

“I felt like I had made my run at ASMSU at that point,” he said.

But Mignano said his reasons for leaving had nothing to do with the organization.

“It’s solely because it’s my senior year,” he said.

Weingarden said he hopes the position will be filled soon and is thankful for Mignano’s help.

“We miss Joe a lot,” he said. “And at the same time we really appreciate everything he did for the organization.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU learns of top officials resignation” on social media.