Saturday, October 19, 2024

Weekend party lures U to Auditorium

telecommunications freshman Brandon King imitates residence Hall Movie Office Director Marsa Mitchell by making the letters RHA in order to receive a T-shirt and other free items Saturday during Party at the Aud.

The grassy knoll to the south of the Auditorium was scene to medieval warriors, “The Price is Right” and a foosball table Saturday night.

But this was not anarchy - it was Party at the Aud.

More than 300 student groups - about 20 more than last year - assembled outside the building hoping to lure some of MSU’s nearly 43,000 students into joining their organizations.

“This is probably our biggest recruiting campaign,” said Charlie Cove, Fencing Club president and a food industry management senior. “We have 30 people and will have 50 with the freshmen.”

The International Relations Organization also made sure it didn’t miss the party. Group President Scott Risner said he joined the group because he saw its stand at the party and hopes students will take advantage of the event.

“I think the big thing is you want to get involved, but what do you want to get involved with?” the international relations senior said.

That was the question Anne Schneider, an international relations and political theory and constitutional democracy freshman, was asking herself.

“There’s a lot of great groups here - it’s great.” Schneider said. “There’s a lot of stuff I wouldn’t have known about.”

Student Life Activities Assistant Bobbie Clark said she was pleased students such as Schneider and Cove took advantage of the gala.

“It helps other students to meet new and existing students,” Clark said. “They get to possibly look at organizations, too.”

But those organizations had to deal with a few changes at this year’s party.

“Last year, everything was inside and this year we put out three tents between the rock and the (Red Cedar) River,” Clark said.

Fred Watson, coordinator for Student Life Activities, said the reason for the move outdoors was to accommodate the increased amount of applicants, some of which were still turned away.

Another reason was because of a budget concern.

“We had to remove the seats from the Auditorium,” Watson said. “That can cost $4,000, and you can spend that on other items like tents.”

But clubs and students did not seem to mind the change to an outdoor venue.

“It’s a little more space and the weather outside is more comfortable,” Risner said.

Another difference at this year’s event was the addition of a bus supplied by Target, which included a model dorm room students could view and movies projected onto the bus.

But the purpose for the event was to showcase student groups.

“I think it’s an excellent idea,” business management sophomore John Avedian said. He is also vice president of the Armenian Club, whose members were first-time partygoers. “I don’t think MSU’s Web site is good enough to show how diverse its groups are.

“It gives everyone a chance to see what’s out there.”

Share and discuss “Weekend party lures U to Auditorium” on social media.