Saturday, October 19, 2024

Competition to decide fate of heroes

A group of students will compete today to prove what famous hero is worthy of being inducted into the MSU Multicultural Heroes Hall of Fame.

Since Jan. 18, five student teams, which are made of three members, have been gathering information about famous figures in history such as Nelson Mandela, Eleanor Roosevelt and Mother Theresa. Each team will have 10 minutes to make their case through skits, videos or slide show presentations.

The event will be held at 5 p.m. today in room N-130 Business College Complex.

Darrell King, assistant director of multicultural business programs in the Eli Broad College of Business, organized the event.

He said the competition was designed to promote multiculturalism during Black History Month.

“I think it’s going to be a fantastic event,” he said. “We have excited students competing. We looked at the various people who have contributed to passing the torch of justice. They represent many cultures.”

King said he thinks the event will allow students an opportunity to learn about various historical people of all races. This is the competition’s first year.

“It’s an educational experience where they learn about people all over the world and how they contributed to the success of human rights in America and other countries,” he said. “It will be an entertaining event.”

LaCretia Lever, a supply chain management junior, said her group gathered information at the library, on the Internet and by watching films to learn more about Tecumseh, their chosen hero. Her group will present a computer slide show presentation about the Shawnee chief.

“People will have an opportunity to see a diverse group of heroes,” she said. “It’s more than just Black History Month. It’s an opportunity to learn about all types of cultures.”

Ernest Betts, assistant dean of multicultural business programs, said the competition allows students to connect with history and learn about different cultures.

“For Black History Month, we took a leadership role as a program that works primarily with students of all colors and ethnic backgrounds to recognize the leaders in this country and world who have worked toward equality and justice and support African Americans,” he said. “It emphasizes that you don’t have to be a particular race to have knowledge and pride in a person that is different from you.”

Betts said the purpose of the program is to recognize people who are perceived as heroes in history.

“There are people who have worked on equality for years,” he said. “It’s recognizing that you can have Black History Month and still appreciate others who have contributed to the movement of blacks in this country.”

Share and discuss “Competition to decide fate of heroes” on social media.