Saturday, October 19, 2024

Career fair provides opportunities to minority students

Although Michelle Bowman was a freshman when she first attended the Minority Career Fair, companies paid attention.

“I got my résumé out there and got people to notice me,” the chemical engineering senior said. “It was a nice setup. There were a lot of people.”

Bowman, who is president of the MSU chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers, said attending the event early was helpful for her.

About 130 companies, including Ford Motor Co., Microsoft, Pfizer Inc. and the U.S. Air Force, will attend the Career Services & Placement-sponsored event that attracted about 2,500 students last year.

Bowman said minority students should be encouraged to attempt to diversify the workplace.

“I know companies right now are seeking to improve the diversity of their company because it’s bringing in other viewpoints that benefit the company,” she said. “It also benefits the students because they get to look for jobs and practice. Oftentimes, minorities don’t know about their opportunities as much as the majority. It gives them an opportunity to get their name out to practice techniques to be a professional.

“If you don’t apply, you aren’t even in the game.”

Career fair officials suggest students bring copies of their résumés and wear professional attire to the fair. Appointments with companies can be made from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Kellogg Center. Interviews will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the Union.

Tina Goschka, events coordinator for Career Services & Placement, said she thinks the fair is beneficial for students who are seeking internships or long-term jobs.

“I think it’s extremely important, even for students who aren’t looking for jobs at this time,” she said. “It’s a great networking opportunity for students. It’s something they need to make time for.”

Despite economic and job market worries, Goschka said the fair has proven to be successful.

“There has been a lot of success,” Goschka said. “We always get good responses from students and employers in terms of surveys we have done.”

Lenroy Jones, assistant director of Career Services & Placement, said he thinks the fair offers students a good chance to connect with employers.

“I think it’s an excellent opportunity for students interested in going into internships to meet face-to-face with companies in the Midwest and throughout the United States,” he said. “I think employers are definitely coming to take advantage of an opportunity that is very unique. I think it’s a win-win for organizations that will be coming to the fair.”

Share and discuss “Career fair provides opportunities to minority students” on social media.