Friday, October 18, 2024

Ghandi inspires student volunteers

Communication sophomore Sam Leblanc pulls weeds in Lansing’s Comstock Park on Saturday as part of the National Ghandi Day of Service. Several community service projects were organized for the event by Into the Streets and the Coalition of Indian Und

Dozens of MSU students took to the streets Saturday, taking part in volunteerism events to commemorate the National Ghandi Day of Service.

The Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students and Into the Streets sponsored the activities, which sent student volunteers to 15 different sites throughout East Lansing and Lansing.

The event, which is named for the late Indian leader Mahatma Ghandi, is seen as a way to share his charitable ideas among people, said Amit Agarwal, social chairman for the coalition.

“This is a day to show appreciation for the important ideals of Ghandi,” the political economy sophomore said. “It’s a time for us to step up and show gratitude for our Asian leaders.”

Some of the sites where volunteers were sent include the American Red Cross Food Distribution Center, Comstock Park, Fabulous Akers and Woldumar Nature Center.

Volunteers met at 9 a.m. in the Wilson Hall Auditorium to register and hear three guest speakers before leaving for their sites.

Tom Nishi, the Asian representative for the Office of Minority Affairs, gave a short speech about Ghandi and the importance of helping others.

“Very few people have the opportunity to help others,” he said. “Even fewer people act on that opportunity.”

Kathe Smith, operations supervisor for the American Red Cross Regional Food Distribution Center, also spoke to students in attendance.

The distribution center hands out six million pounds of food each year to 289 different agencies. It would not be able to do this without the help of volunteers, Smith said.

East Lansing Councilmember Sam Singh also spoke to the volunteers. Singh, along with 10 students, helped form Into the Streets a decade ago. He said MSU students working in the community can make a big difference.

“Make volunteering part of your life, because that is what will make changes in your community,” Singh said.

National Ghandi Day began last year, and this year more than 3,000 students at 40 universities volunteered their time. This year marks the first year East Lansing has commemorated the date.

At many of the sites, volunteers cleaned, painted and did yard work. Other sites had volunteers working with senior citizens or children.

The Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students and Into the Streets expected more than 200 volunteers Saturday, but only about 75 people came to help. Some students said the chilly temperatures and the MSU football game might have kept people home.

“There were a lot of different things going on, plus the cold weather,” said Amanda Warman, an elementary education junior who co-chairs the Into the Streets organization. “It isn’t a big number, but it is good enough.”

The volunteers who did show up were ready and willing to do their fair share of work. Warman said the volunteers had fun and got plenty of work done at each site.

And others agreed.

“God wants us to help people and this is a small way to help the less fortunate,” elementary education senior Harry Shin said.

Share and discuss “Ghandi inspires student volunteers” on social media.