Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Not for everyone: Brandy Melville's stance on body positivity

Body positivity and inclusivity have recently become mainstream movements that encourages individuals to love their bodies and promotes love and acceptance for others as well.

Many clothing brands have been supportive of this movement, such as Aerie, a sister brand to American Eagle. Aerie has been applauded for its body-positive advertisements and commitment to representing all customers while promoting self-love and diversity.

However, not all clothing brands are committed to ensuring body positivity and inclusivity.

Brandy Melville, a fast-fashion California-inspired clothing brand, has been notorious for its "one size fits all" narrative. The company offers one size, usually an extra-small or small, for most products, resulting in the exclusion of bigger sizes.

Kara Rowley, a senior sales associate at Pitaya, a women's clothing store on Grand River Avenue, said the one size fits all sizing policy is not accurate and does not actually fit everyone.

"They advertised a one size (fits all) as their whole marketing brand, but their one size does not, in fact, fit all," Rowley said. "I've seen them become slightly more inclusive over the years, but it hasn't really turned any big corner in terms of marketing and potential clothes they carry."

Similarly, Michigan State University education senior Hayden Grant said the one size fits all sizing policy isn’t inclusive overall.

"Their one size fits all is probably a size small, which is like a quarter of the population, so it's just not very inclusive," Grant said.

Although Brandy Melville isn’t known for body positivity and inclusivity, the two concepts are still significant within society.

Journalism and communications senior Jatasia Powers said body positivity is important because all people should be treated fairly, no matter what size clothing they wear.

Grant said body positivity and acceptance directly contribute to an individuals' outlook on life and themselves.

"It's important to feel comfortable in your own skin, and I think that changes how you see the world as well as how you see yourself," Grant said.

Rowley said body positivity is incredibly important nowadays due to the beauty standards society has implemented and how those standards affect individuals.

"Body positivity is important because looking at beauty standards and everything and how it affects everybody I've talked to ever," Rowley said. "I did a study on body dysmorphia and eating disorders in my sophomore year of college, and it mainly affects marginalized communities, like women, queer people and marginalized racial demographics. So I would say that body positivity is important to uplift those demographics that need it the most."

This Brandy Melville controversy tends to give people a bad impression of the company. Grant said she holds a negative view of Brandy Melville due to their limited sizing options.

"I mean, I think their clothes are cute, but I personally, literally, can't wear them, so I think that I probably have a negative view towards them because they are only fit for one kind of person," Grant said.

Similarly, Powers said she doesn’t support the company because of its blatant exclusion of other sizes.

"I don't personally shop there, just because I know they don't have my size in any of their clothes, but that doesn't necessarily upset me," Powers said. "I do see why it's a problem, and I'm not for them because of that."

With all of the negative views towards Brandy Melville, why do people still choose to shop there?

Rowley said it may be due to individuals wanting to fit into the beauty standards society has implemented, and purchasing and wearing Brandy Melville clothing can demonstrate that they do indeed fit into those standards.

"I would say it's very appealing, and it's almost reinforcing, a narrative, like, 'Oh, I can fit into this brand of clothing, so I must be a part of the beauty standard in some way,'" Rowley said. "I think it is affirming to some people who do have body dysmorphia, unfortunately, but I think Brandy Melville's doing it in a very toxic way. I've heard people strive to fit into Brandy Melville’s clothes. So I think Brandy Melville is alive and well because they kind of have created this brand around being able to fit in their clothes means something, and you mean something in terms of the beauty standard."

Additionally, Rowley said that continuously supporting Brandy Melville can be seen as counteracting body positivity and acceptance.

"I have been personally affected, and I know talking to other my coworkers in the store, they have been personally affected by being like 'Oh, I wish I could bring fit into Brandy' or, 'Oh I still fit in Brandy,'" Rowley said. "I hear a lot of that being tossed around and I think it's just a way of like pushing like a counter against body positivity."

Powers said people may continue to purchase from Brandy Melville because they personally like the clothes being sold, and are unconcerned about the brand behind the apparel they are purchasing.

"I think people just don't really care, in a way," Powers said. "I think if they see something that's cute, they're gonna get it, regardless if it's okay or not, or (if) the brand is okay or not."

Although Brandy Melville isn’t body-positive and inclusive, and can even be portrayed as the opposite, there are many other brands that are.

Grant said she personally likes shopping at Cotton On, and recommends it to others. Powers prefers to thrift her clothes, as she believes that there are many benefits to doing so.

"Personally, I like to thrift a lot. I think thrifting is a good way to not only find your style, but it's a good way to try other styles for cheap, and there's a lot of sizes in both men and women," Powers said. "I also think you should just try not to shop fast fashion, period. I think thrifting is the best way to go."

Compared to Brandy Melville, Rowley said Pitaya doesn’t strictly advertise as one size fits all, and offers more styles and sizes.

"We do carry more sizes and more different varieties of types of clothing, catering to different people, different demographics, with different styles and different sizes," Rowley said.

As for the future, Rowley thinks Brandy Melville could incorporate more body positivity into their apparel by not advertising themselves as one size fits all and expanding their size options.

"I think they're (a) multi-million dollar corporation, I think they can totally afford it," Rowley said. On how this would be implemented, she said, "Maybe (by) actually advocating for different sizes, not just putting a one size tag on everything. Because when I go into Brandy Melville, there are times where things fit me perfectly, and then there are times things are too tight, or there are times where things are too large. So I think that they should actually market what their sizes are instead of saying one size fits all to fit their 'small is the only weight' narrative."

Share and discuss “Not for everyone: Brandy Melville's stance on body positivity” on social media.