Tennen family wishes to close investigation, no charges issued

The family of journalism sophomore Zachary Tennen requested the investigation of their son’s assault be closed Sept. 24.

Tennen’s family “believes that justice will be best served by closing the investigation at this time,” Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III quoted the Tennen family in a letter sent to press Thursday.

Dunnings, whose office has been reviewing the case since Sept. 5, took the time to speak with people related to the case and determined the assault was not a hate crime, Dunnings said in a statement Thursday.

He added, “… I have reached the conclusion that no charges should be issued at this time.”

The family’s lawyer, Henry Scharg, also sent a statement to Dunnings thanking him for allowing him access to Tennen’s case report.

“The Tennen family is cognizant of the fact that substantial resources were expended to investigate these allegations and that there is insufficient evidence of a hate crime to go forward with a criminal prosecution,” Scharg said in the letter.

Tennen previously said he was assaulted during the early morning hours of Aug. 26 at a party in the 500 block of Spartan Avenue. He said two men punched him and stapled his mouth shut after he told them he was Jewish. Such actions were enough to be considered a hate crime, Tennen said.

During the assault, Tennen’s jaw was broken in two places, and he later had an operation that required his jaw be wired shut.

After recovering at his family’s home in Franklin, Mich., Tennen returned to campus Sept. 2.

In a previous interview, Tennen said he has been trying not to worry about the assault since his return, and he has been focusing on his school work.

Check tomorrow’s edition of The State News for more on this breaking story.

Share and discuss “Tennen family wishes to close investigation, no charges issued” on social media.