Face Time with Herman Cain

2012 Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain greets supporters during a book signing in The Villages, Florida, Wednesday, October 5, 2011. Cain promoted his book, "This Is Herman Cain." (Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel/MCT)

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain is embarking on a nationwide Truth Tour this fall to discuss the economy and he’ll stop at Kellogg Center at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 26 to talk with the MSU community.

Cain, the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, said after he completes the Truth Tour on Nov. 1, he plans to start a syndicated radio talk show and become a regular on several TV networks.
The State News spoke with Cain this weekend about his past presidential campaign and what comes next.

TSN: Describe the Truth Tour and why it’s important to you.
Herman Cain: “The objective is real simple: to give people the facts and the truth about the state of our economy and what we need to do to improve it. … The biggest barriers to a college graduate being able to start their career are outside of their direct control, but inside their indirect control, and that means understanding what’s going on in the nation and being a registered, informed citizen.”

How was your experience being a presidential candidate?
HC: “Being able to bring forth ideas was very exciting. What was frustrating was that people wrote me off because I had never held public office before. Some people counted me out, but the American people counted me in and helped to launch my campaign. When I was in first place in the polls for four straight weeks, it was very exciting. It was like drinking from a water hydrant. Now, I have never drunk from a water hydrant, but if I had, I think I know what that feels like. Things were changing so fast. The politics got vicious, my character was attacked — falsely, I might add. Because of the pain and the viciousness, I made the decision to put family first. (If I ran again) I would better prepare my family for how fiery politics get. People who get into politics are prepared for that. But it was a great experience, and if I had to do all over again, I would.”

How did you face the scrutiny of critics and the media? Did you ever feel like the spotlight was overwhelming?

Would you ever run for president again?
HC: “Nope, I’m not going to run again, it’s not in my game plan again.… The amount of money it would take to launch a campaign and sustain a campaign — unfortunately, only people who are well to do are going to want to go into politics. I am not a multimillionaire-kajillionaire by any means. I had to spend my own resources to get going, and I was self-sustaining, but once it started winding down, I don’t want to go through that again. I am 66 years old and supposed to be retired, not fighting another presidential campaign.”

Share and discuss “Face Time with Herman Cain” on social media.