Saturday, June 22, 2024

Architectural design on St. Anne's Luxury Lofts causes controversy

A new addition to the St. Anne’s Luxury Lofts development project featuring stonework in the shape of a cross has caused the city some distress.

Following a summer filled with concerns involving the building’s safety and the developer’s transparency, the cross is another hurdle the project has to overcome.

East Lansing City Councilmember Don Power said in his opinion, the cross on the building and the inquiries surrounding its development are similar to “somebody pouring acid on an open sore.”

Power said there is a big difference between a religious symbol and an artistic design.

“Obviously, if (the cross) is meant as a religious symbol, it can create problems,” Power said. “If it is meant as an architectural symbol, that’s a different story … Its meaning can be misconstrued.”
Power also said that the cross was difficult to see in the original drawings of the structure and could potentially cause issues among residents.

“It’s called the St. Anne’s building project, and I never asked the question before,” Power said. “(I) never cared, but now I do.”

Planning and Community Development Director Tim Dempsey said he couldn’t provide any insight on the reasonings behind the cross and that Kris Elliott, the project developer, would be the one to answer.

Elliott could not be reached for comment.

“We do not review or have approval on the … design element of the structure; we only review the uses, height (and) setbacks — the traditional planning,” Dempsey said “It’s not in a historic district (or anything like that), so we don’t have any oversight (on) the architectural detail.”

City Councilmember Kevin Beard said since the luxury loft project isn’t a public building, the cross isn’t a primary issue with the city council at this time.

“You can assume because it’s not a free-standing sign (and) because it’s an architectural feature of the facade, I don’t think our sign code applies to it … (and) putting any religious symbol on the exterior of it is probably not problematic,” Beard said. “If someone wants to perceive it as a religious symbol, it is a private building, not a public building.”
As a business owner in close proximity to the new project, Trisha Riley, owner of Harper’s Restaurant, 131 Albert Ave., said she doesn’t have a problem with the symbol.
“(The cross) didn’t stand out to me so much that way,” Riley said. “I just believe in freedom of speech (and) freedom of business.”
Recent MSU graduate Beth Adams agreed with Riley and said a religious symbol embedded in the design doesn’t bother her — not even when choosing an apartment.
“I don’t think it would change anything,” Adams said. “It’s a design; it doesn’t have to be a cross, too.”

Share and discuss “Architectural design on St. Anne's Luxury Lofts causes controversy” on social media.