Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Asch resigns from post right after St. Anne Lofts project collapses

East Lansing Director of Code Enforcement and Neighborhood Conservation Howard Asch resigned from his position last week.

City officials confirmed that Asch had left the department, but declined to comment further.

Asch was the city’s liaison with the St. Anne Lofts project, which has been the subject of controversy since the developer began construction on an unauthorized fifth floor.

In a work session last Tuesday, East Lansing City Council addressed the issue with Asch on hand to answer its questions. During the meeting, Asch said he should have issued a stop-work order once the fifth floor was noticed by the city, but opted not to.

“This is one of those cases where you try to make a judgment call,” he said of the meeting. “We felt they had a good track record and were proceeding as they should to build a safe building.”

However, the structure’s integrity was called into question after a portion of the fourth floor collapsed under the weight of construction materials.

A stop-work order was issued for the project last week, and East Lansing City Council will revisit the matter during its scheduled July 10 meeting.

Share and discuss “Asch resigns from post right after St. Anne Lofts project collapses” on social media.