Sunday, June 30, 2024

Entire police video containing Genetski’s arrest released

New details regarding the arrest of State Rep. Bob Genetski, R-Saugatuck, by MSU police show a more vivid picture of what happened during the early hours of Jan. 19, when he was taken into custody on campus for drunken driving.

A police video authorized for release in its entirety by Genetski’s lawyer last week shows the lawmaker slurring words as he responded to questions from MSU Police, also stumbling slightly and making several minor errors during his field sobriety test before refusing a Breathalyzer test and being taken to jail for operating while intoxicated.

Genetski was arrested early that morning following Gov. Rick Snyder’s State of the State address. He now faces criminal charges in East Lansing’s 54-B District Court and could serve up to 93 days in jail.

Genetski’s lawyer recently authorized the public release of the video in its entirety after public pressure and cries of preferential treatment mounted on MSU for redacting parts of the video. The university had previously redacted portions of the recording, claiming its release violated individual privacy.

“We take every Freedom of Information Act request, and we go through the same process,” university spokesman Kent Cassella said of Genetski’s status as a lawmaker. “We would have done the same if it would have been someone completely different.”

In the video, Genetski does not tell MSU police officer Casey Christman he is a state representative. His profession is not noted in the incident report.

The video shows Genetski being pulled over by Christman, appearing baffled when asked to step out of the car and perform a field sobriety test.

“You understand that it’s cold and I’m shivering, correct?” Genetski tells Christman before starting the test, his speech noticeably slurred.

In the video, Genetski admitted to drinking two beers before driving.

When asked to walk heel-toe in a straight line, Genetski slightly wavers side to side, which Christman noted in the incident report. Genetski also turns the opposite way of the officer’s request during the walking test, according to the report.

Christman also wrote he could “smell the strong odor of a suspected intoxicating beverage
emanating from inside the vehicle.”

The video ends with Genetski’s arrest and transportation to the MSU police station.

“I’m not taking your test,” Genetski said in the recording, also asking to see the speed he was clocked at before being handcuffed.

Still, there are parts of the report where Christman contradicts his account of the incident. On one page, he writes, “during the entire incident, subject Genetski was uncooperative and condescending.”

But in a later document, he describes Genetski’s behavior as “cooperative.”

“What’s in the court of public opinion, that matters for Bob because he’s a public official, but the only thing that matters for me is what the court is going to hear,” Genetski’s attorney Mike Nichols said of the newly released tape.

Share and discuss “Entire police video containing Genetski’s arrest released” on social media.