Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Council talks budget plans for next 2 years

The East Lansing City Council looked toward the future at its Tuesday night work session, staring down budget struggles and continuing its discussion on the city’s strategic priorities.

The council continued its discussion on aspects related to budgetary concerns for the next two fiscal years during the work session at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

City Manager George Lahanas noted that city staff are particularly worried in the immediate future with trying to plug projected holes in the city’s balance for the upcoming year.

“I think that the biggest issue for us is this … gap we have,” he said at the meeting. “Obviously there’s a lot of things that go into preparing the budget.”

Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett expressed concern about, among other things, proposed cuts to public services, including the fire and police forces.

Triplett said the city could possibly examine ways for generating funds through millages, with one millage per year across the next two fiscal years.

One proposal would be geared toward raising money for public safety improvements, and the other would address funding issues with the city’s library.

The council also approved a motion authorizing City Manager George Lahanas to include a one-mill levy to support the East Lansing Public Library in the preliminary 2012-13 fiscal year budget, and also authorized Lahanas and City Attorney Dennis McGinty to draft a resolution to place an additional millage on the November ballot.  

During the meeting, councilmember Vic Loomis said he’s unsure how residents might react to a ballot proposal to raise additional funding.

“To me, the process of budgeting is something that begins and never ends,” he said. “It’s a continuum, and how you right the ship … depends on where along that continuum you end up.”

East Lansing’s strategic priorities also were discussed during the meeting.

City officials first discussed the re-evaluation process at the Feb. 29 council work session.

Councilmember Don Power said he was pleased with the emphasis on strong community relationships.

“I think neighborhoods make East Lansing, and that’s quite well-put-together,” he said.

Council members agreed the strategic priorities are important in guiding the city, and the council is expected to approve the revised strategic priorities at its meeting next week.

Share and discuss “Council talks budget plans for next 2 years” on social media.