Sunday, May 19, 2024

Council of Graduate Students pushes for student resource center

COGS recently passed a resolution to see Chittenden Hall, on West Circle Dr., turn into a space for a graduate student resource center. No official plans have been made to demolish or renovate the building, which was originally constructed in 1901. Lauren Wood/The State News

Despite efforts from graduate students to transform Chittenden Hall into a graduate student resource center, no plans to renovate the vacant building are underway, officials said.

University engineer Bob Nestle said a $5.6 million funding request for the building’s renovation still is in the university’s capital outlay request, but it is not expected to be granted in the near future.

The state has not funded many renovation projects in the past few years, he said, and the building has not had occupants for more than five years.

“I don’t hear of any discussions of tearing (Chittenden Hall) down, but I don’t hear any discussions (of) where the money can come from to renovate it,” Nestle said.

The Council of Graduate Students, or COGS, has pushed for the building’s renovation to be used as a graduate student resource center for several years and passed a resolution at its full council meeting Wednesday in continued support.

COGS President Stefan Fletcher said despite economic challenges, the university should commit to a “rough timeline” for the building’s construction.

Karen Klomparens, dean of the Graduate School, said if the graduate school were to move to Chittenden Hall, a wide variety of graduate student resources would be available in a “one-stop shopping” location. Fundraising for the building’s renovation is part of the Graduate School’s funding goals, but most of the current fundraising goes to fund graduate fellowships, Klomparens said.

Graduate student Andrew Harvey said there have been times when he felt “out of (his) element” looking for resources on campus — including financial aid, grants and fellowships.

“If there’s a (single) place students can go to find out that information, I think that’ll make everyone’s job easier,” he said.

COGS has continued its effort to advocate for the building‘s renovation this year with outreach, including tailgating in front of Chittenden Hall and launching an online petition this week.

Next semester, COGS will sponsor a 5K run to raise more awareness and funds for the cause, with any generated funds going toward the renovation, COGS Vice President for External Affairs LeighAnn Jordan said.

COGS also plans to ask other student groups including ASMSU — MSU’s undergraduate student government — and the Residence Halls Association to pass similar resolutions in solidarity for the project.

Jordan also said the building is among a row of historic buildings and hopes the building will be restored some time in the future.

Other buildings on laboratory row, including Eustace-Cole and Marshall-Adams halls, received renovations in the past several years because of donor support, Nestle said.

He said it “certainly would be wonderful” to receive private donor funds or an endowment gift for Chittenden Hall but no one has stepped forward.

Share and discuss “Council of Graduate Students pushes for student resource center” on social media.