Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Sexual assault reported in Armstrong Hall

An 18-year-old female student allegedly was sexually assaulted between 10:30-11:40 p.m. Saturday in the men’s restroom at Armstrong Hall, according to a crime alert by MSU Police.

As she was walking through the A-wing of Armstrong Hall, she passed a group of men who asked her if she lived there, the student told police.

She said one of the suspects grabbed her as they were walking together.

She told police the suspect knocked her cellphone from her hand, and it broke.

The suspect then grabbed her hand, led her to a bathroom stall and sexually assaulted her, according to the crime alert.

The student had minor injuries and was treated at a local hospital.

Police did not release what type of criminal sexual conduct charges the suspect might face, and the information was not yet posted on the MSU Police Clery Crime Log.

MSU Police would not disclose which bathroom the alleged assault occurred in, but numerous residents of the A-wing third floor said police closed the third-floor men’s bathroom early Sunday morning.

Police announced Sunday morning that they have identified a suspect described as an 18-year-old black male with short black hair, weighing 160 pounds and 5 feet, 11 inches tall.

Several third-floor residents of Armstrong Hall said the suspect is not an MSU student.

Police declined to give additional information outside the initial crime alert while the investigation is ongoing.

Another resident of Armstrong Hall invited several friends in high school to his dorm room in Armstrong Hall on Saturday night, said engineering freshman Austin Condra, who lives on the third floor of Armstrong Hall.

Condra said the alleged suspect came with the resident’s friends but was not close friends with the resident.

Other third-floor residents confirmed Condra’s statements but declined to be identified in The State News.

Residents of the dormitories are required to provide student identification to enter after midnight and check their guests in.

The incident is under investigation. MSU Police encourages anyone who witnessed this incident or has additional information to contact the MSU Police at (517) 355-2221 or Crime Stoppers at (517) 483-7867.

Share and discuss “Sexual assault reported in Armstrong Hall” on social media.