Editor’s note: The quote by Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings, III did not accurately convey the intended meaning of his comment. The story was changed to accurately portray Dunnings’ statements.
Charges will not be pressed in an alleged on-campus sexual assault reported to police last week, according to Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings, III.
The assault, which allegedly occurred last week between 11 p.m. Sunday and 1 a.m. Monday in Wonders Hall, originally was classified as a first-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to the MSU police crime report.
It was reported Monday of last week but little information was provided by the MSU police.
A charge of criminal sexual conduct in the first-degree is the most severe and a felony charge in Michigan.
It requires proof of sexual penetration without consent using force.
Dunnings said MSU police were accurate in issuing a report but no charges were filed. Dunnings declined to comment why charges were not pursued in the case. He said in general, there can be many reasons, such as a lack of evidence.
“After we reviewed the case, we could not convict,” Dunnings said.
A detective visited Wonders Hall on Tuesday of last week and questioned students, witnesses said. Marketing freshman Michael Connors said he saw several police officers in the hallway of South Wonders between 3 and 4 a.m. Tuesday.
Business administration sophomore Adam Skowron, who lives on the first floor of South Wonders Hall, said he was asked if he had heard any noise Sunday night.
Skowron said he and his roommate were not in the dorms that night.
MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said the MSU police followed normal procedure for the incident.
“Our offices completed the report and referred it to the Ingham County Prosecutor for their review,” McGlothian-Taylor said.
Kate Jacobson contributed to this report