Mich. unveils ballot tracker

Voting by absentee ballot in elections might now be easier for students living away from home.

The Michigan Secretary of State announced Monday voters now can track their absentee ballots online.

The new feature tells users when their application for a ballot has been received, when the absentee ballot was mailed out and when it was received by local clerk’s office.

About 18-20 percent of voters use an absentee ballot in each election, and this online application will offer security and comfort for those voters, said Kelly Chesney, a spokeswoman for the Secretary of State.

“It’s a convenient way for the residents to find out where their absentee ballot is in the process, and it will give them peace of mind in knowing … it will be counted on election day,” Chesney said.

To use the new tracking feature, visit michigan.gov/vote. The Michigan Voter Information Center also offers sample ballots, directions to polling sites and contact information for the local clerk.

Voters who hope to apply for an absentee ballot must contact their local clerk no later than July 31 and must return their ballot by 8 p.m. on Aug. 3.

Share and discuss “Mich. unveils ballot tracker” on social media.