Tuesday, May 14, 2024

New director of MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services chosen

Mark Patishnock has been appointed as director of the MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services, or CAPS.

Patishnock was announced as the new CAPS director by Interim President John Engler at the Board of Trustees meeting on April 13. 

CAPS had been without a director for more than a year.

Patishnock has experience in collegiate counseling and psychology and previously served as director of counseling and psychological services as well as a staff psychologist.

In a previous interview with Patishnock, he said, "At the end of the day, CAPS is the student center … the services are for them. Receiving student input as a continuous process is how we make sure we design CAPS to meet the needs of students." 

The search for a new CAPS director was initiated through the CAPS Search Committee, which consisted of psychologists, counselors, MSU faculty, the Sexual Assault Program and others. 

The search led to three candidates, including Patishnock, Sabrina Ford and Dani Meier.

Each candidate answered questions from different student organizations, such as the Associated Students of Michigan State University and the Mental Health Awareness Club, and each had individual town halls in the process of the search.

At the Board of Trustees meeting, Engler said counselor positions have opened up to candidates who are qualified in response to a student protester who said CAPS is understaffed. 

Share and discuss “New director of MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services chosen” on social media.