St. Patrick's Day 'relatively calm' for crimes, ELPD says

<p>Astrophysics junior Austin Czyzewski hangs upside down during St. Patrick's Day on March 17, 2018 at Orion House along M.A.C. Avenue.</p>

Astrophysics junior Austin Czyzewski hangs upside down during St. Patrick's Day on March 17, 2018 at Orion House along M.A.C. Avenue.

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Crimes reported during St. Patrick's Day weekend were relatively low compared to previous years, ELPD Deputy Chief Steve Gonzalez said.

"For St. Patrick's being on a Saturday, and we had relatively nice weather, we expected it to be a lot busier than it really was," Gonzalez said. "Obviously, we did have some fairly large parties and the related type incidents that go along with something like that, but overall St. Patrick's Day was a relatively calm event for us.'

There were 15 to 20 arrests total, but the numbers are not yet official, Gonzalez said.

ELPD held a "tweet along" during the evening of St. Patrick's Day.

"Those guys do an excellent job with that, trying to put a fun and light-hearted spin on a busy day like that," Gonzalez said.

Two incidents of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct were reported to East Lansing Police this St. Patrick's Day, both on March 17. Last year, three incidents were reported, two fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and one third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

According to Michigan Law, a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct is a misdemeanor and a third-degree criminal sexual conduct is a felony.

One fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct allegedly occurred at 731 Burcham Dr., and the other was near the intersection of Beal Street and Grand River Avenue, according to the ELPD Case and Arrest Summary.

The incident reported at Beal Street and Grand River Avenue was the same one MSU Police sent an alert about. 

"(The alert was) to pass on information for safety to the campus community because it was just outside the campus area," MSUPD Capt. Doug Monette said.

The alert was sent out with initial information, but upon further investigation the officers narrowed the location down, Gonzalez said.

ELPD responded to 10 disorderly conduct reports this year, last year they had 13. MSUPD did not respond to any, according to the Clery Crime and Fire Log. 

There were five cases of larceny reported to ELPD and one to MSUPD.

ELPD had one case of arson reported, at Burger King, 1580 Lake Lansing Road.

Share and discuss “St. Patrick's Day 'relatively calm' for crimes, ELPD says” on social media.