Student government groups to host round tables on campus climate

Three major student organizations on campus will host round table events on Wednesday and on Feb. 26 to discuss campus climate, sexual assault and MSU's administration.

The student-led organizations included are the Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, the Council of Graduate Students, or COGS, and the Residence Halls Association, or RHA.

Both round table discussions are open for public attendance and both will take place at 6:30 p.m. in the Union Ballroom. 

"One of the biggest things that we're going to get out of this event is the opportunity for the representatives on the general assembly, specifically ASMSU, to hear from the students that are vocal right now about this issue," ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca said.  

Last Thursday, ASMSU passed a bill that would allocate $7,000 from ASMSU's general fund toward the round table events. The money is going towards marketing materials, renting the space and other initiatives "at the discretion of the Office of the President and Chief of Staff."

Santavicca said students have expressed interest in wearing apparel to support survivors of sexual assault, and in response, ASMSU ordered T-shirts and ribbons to hand out at the events. 

"ASMSU effectively passed that bill showing that we want to be a more visible force with the survivors as we go forward the rest of the semester," Santavicca said. 

The round tables will be led by students who have been trained in hosting dialogues, and the concerns, thoughts and ideas discussed among the people in attendance will be taken back to ASMSU, COGS and RHA.

"I can't speak for COGS or RHA, but ASMSU is in the listening stage right now, hearing from students about what they think that their student government should be going forward," Santavicca said. "And that's really what these events opportunity collect broader feedback from the students that they represent." 

Share and discuss “Student government groups to host round tables on campus climate” on social media.