Women's March returns to Lansing, 1 year later

Protesters gather outside of the capitol to listen to speeches during the Women's March on Lansing on Jan. 21, 2017 at the Capital Building in Lansing. Activists gathered and expressed their opinions through peaceful demonstration.

Sunday marks the one-year anniversary of a worldwide movement intended to empower women and to “create transformative social change,” according to the official website for the march.

The Women’s March is once again on Jan. 21. This time, it urges women to look back and march forward into a new year of resistance.

The Women’s March Michigan will take place at 2 p.m. Sunday in Lansing on the steps of the Capitol and is free and open to the public. 

There are also various locations around Michigan that plan on participating in respective marches, gatherings or celebrations. 

In addition to speakers, there will also be several non-profit organizations, such as Planned Parenthood and Progress Michigan, at the Capitol to speak to attendees of the march, Sarah Eisenberg, an organizer for the Women’s March Michigan, said.

Eisenberg said it is important for people to participate in the Women’s March because changes can be made faster when people are united rather than apart.

“If we’re only looking in the narrow, little lane that we naturally start out in, we’re thinking very small,” she said. “But when we get together, we learn from one another and we grow as people and we can become stronger together than we ever could be alone.” 

Eisenberg said the Women's March has blossomed into things like petition drives, women running for office and community projects that have influenced not only Michigan, but the entire nation.

This year’s march in Michigan will focus on engaging voters and empowering women to run for office through giving “power to the polls.”

“Let’s get together once again to energize ourselves, to connect with each other, to make these relationships that we can use to start a movement, to build something beautiful,” Eisenberg said. “That’s what happened last year, and that’s what’s going to continue to happen this year.” 

Share and discuss “Women's March returns to Lansing, 1 year later” on social media.