Searching for better technology, ELFD restricted by tight budget

A fire engine is pictured on March 18, 2017 at the East Lansing Fire Department at 1700 Abbot road.

Dawn Carson has been a deputy chief at the ELFD for 22 years. Carson said she believes in the advancement of technology within the fire department but said there are no funds for everything the department wants and needs, especially advanced thermal imaging masks.

“They’re very, very expensive,” Carson said. “It’s quite an investment to do something like that.”

Thermal imaging masks give firefighters hands-free thermal vision, which allows them to “see” heat in zero visibility, smoke-filled environments. However, these masks can go for thousands of dollars, which is often the hindrance to obtaining them.

“We have thermal imaging cameras, which is the same thing but just not in a mask it’s in a handheld device,” Carson said.

Handheld thermal imaging cameras are highly advanced as well, but less convenient than the masks that come with the cameras built in.

Firefighters hold these cameras in their hands to see through things to identify heat in walls and other obstructions.

Depending on the temperature the colors of the camera will change. The cooler the color, the cooler the temperature, Carson said.

“There’s people that do home improvement and have similar devices, but ours is more tolerant to higher heat,” Carson said.

These cameras can help save lives, but having them built into a mask would ease an already intense job.

Residents understand the high costs of such advanced masks and want the department to be equipped with the latest technology, but are realistic about what technology the department can obtain.

“If (the masks) help save lives then yes, we should have it,” computer science junior Raza Haider said. “But if there’s a way to get all of that information about the heat without having an expensive mask, then I feel we should take that route instead.”

Steve Alvarado is also a deputy chief at the fire department and applied for a grant for two new thermal imaging cameras a couple years ago. The grant was denied, but Alvarado said he believes new, advanced cameras would benefit both the department and community.

In a statement for why he thought the funds for the cameras would be a huge asset, Alvarado wrote, “The biggest benefit of all is giving the firefighters another tool and the ability to ‘get their vision back’ when conditions are at their worst.”

“In addition, the seat of the fire is much easier to find, victims are easier to see and property damage is decreased because firefighters are able to perform their jobs more efficiently.”

Alvarado continued that working in a residential community as well as a “college town” adds unique challenges to the department. Having the proper tools and equipment can make all the difference when searching areas with high life safety concerns, such as student housing or senior living facilities.

Share and discuss “Searching for better technology, ELFD restricted by tight budget” on social media.