Sunday, May 12, 2024

Former MSU football players relishing in last chance for 'chip on shoulder' mantra

Senior wide receiver R.J. Shelton (12) runs down the field for an 86 yard touchdown pass during the third quarter in the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40.

During the past few years, the MSU football team has seemingly developed a “chip on my shoulder” mantra.

Wide receiver R.J. Shelton, tight end Josiah Price and fullback Prescott Line were amongst numerous Spartans who didn’t receive an invite to this year’s NFL Combine.

For them, it continues the noted mantra. As Pro Day rolled around for the athletes, it was another chance to showcase their talents.

“I felt kind of discarded in what I did here at Michigan State and being among the guys that wasn’t there was just fuel to the fire,” Shelton said. “I was just ready to come here and show what I can do at Pro Day.”

Shelton said he felt like he did well in the drills on Wednesday and it just adds fuel to the fire.

“I don’t know the times, but I felt like I was moving the (40-yard dash),” he said. “I felt like I did a really good job in the 5-10-5 (shuttle) and the three-cone (drill), did really good at the bench with 17 (reps) and had a really good — when we were doing the drills — had a really good time running routes. So I felt like I did a really good job and it was just more fuel to the fire and I’m just coming here to prove that I’m a top 25 wide receiver in this draft.”

Price said he was expecting to receive an invite to the combine, but being left out from the invite list doesn’t mean anything for MSU’s all-time leader in touchdown catches amongst tight ends.

“I think that’s another thing for me that I was kind of expecting would happen and it didn't happen,” Price said. “Definitely used (it) as motivation, a chip on my shoulder. When I go into fall camp, I’m going to be having that in the back of my mind. I’m going to prove people wrong. I’m going to play in the NFL for a long time and have a great career. And just because I didn’t get invited to the combine doesn’t mean anything.”

After spending five years in East Lansing, Price was able to thoroughly understand the notorious mantra.

“I think I learned that pretty well here,” he said. "I’ll be able to carry that (mantra) and mentality to the next level and really play with a chip on my shoulder and be a fight for everything.”

Although Line was unable to take part in this year’s combine, the 6-foot, 253 pound fullback entered Pro Day with a mentality to show everyone what he is capable of.

The Oxford, Mich. native logged 39 repetitions in the bench press event, a mark that would have placed Line first amongst all participants in this year’s combine in that event.

“Yeah, definitely,” Line said of whether being snubbed from the combine added more motivation to impress NFL scouts and coaches. “Kind of work a little harder, train a little harder, definitely get that edge under you where you want to definitely show yourself and show people you can definitely do better than they think you can.”

Share and discuss “Former MSU football players relishing in last chance for 'chip on shoulder' mantra” on social media.