Letter: Student liaisons support fellow Spartans

By the student liaison to the MSU Board of Trustees

Dear fellow Spartans, as your student leaders, we are in awe of your resiliency, your courage and your Spartan Will. We see you boldly traversing the juggling act of classwork, organizational requirements, job and community commitments. We see you roll up your sleeves every day to join the chorus of others who want to make MSU the best place for the safe, supportive matriculation of all its students and the best place on earth to cultivate the Spartan Will. 

This journey is not perfect, there are pitfalls, potholes and obstacles along the way, but united we can overcome adversity. The current political climate and the executive orders have created angst, frustration and sadness across our campus and we want to express our deepest empathy to the students, faculty and staff from the impacted communities and countries.

MSU has a core principle of upholding inclusion — an overarching philosophy that starts with a belief in the value of varying perspectives and the promise of mutual respect. We find the spirit of the executive orders and all rhetoric halting the free movement of refugees, refusal of entry, the unlawful detainment of immigrants and visa holders, religious tests, walls and any other forms of exclusion to be the antithesis of our core values. 

We proudly embrace our international community, respect their academic and social contributions, and stand with them as fellow Spartans and YOU ARE WELCOME HERE!

Nobel Peace Prize winners Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malala Yousafzai said respectively, “I decided to stick to love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." "You must not treat others with cruelty. ... You must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education." 

Their words are relevant and necessary during this time of uncertainty and discord. In our capacity as student leaders, we commit ourselves to serving all students across the MSU community.

We are here for you, we will continue listening to you and advocating for policies that benefit the collective student body. Remember, we may bend or fold but Spartans will NOT break, we ARE bolder by design. Lastly, MSU has several services and supports available to students and we encourage their utilization: Office for International Students and Scholars, or OISS, MSU Student Affairs and Services and MSU Counseling Center.

The student liaison to the MSU Board of Trustees is made up of ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca, COGS president Dee Jordan, RHA President Mariah Hill and at-large MSU Board of Trustees student liaison Angel Trevino.

Share and discuss “Letter: Student liaisons support fellow Spartans ” on social media.