MSU student dies from sledding accident in Boyne Falls

<p>Kinesiology junior Sally Ottenhoff, left, and social work&nbsp;junior Olivia Simmons, right. Photo courtesy of Olivia Simmons</p>

Kinesiology junior Sally Ottenhoff, left, and social work junior Olivia Simmons, right. Photo courtesy of Olivia Simmons

Update: 10:30 a.m.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody issued a statement regarding the death of kinesiology junior Sally Ottenhoff.

“The thoughts and prayers of the MSU community are with Ottenhoff’s family and friends,” Cody said. “MSU’s Office of Student Affairs and Services is reaching out to the family to provide support.”

The MSU Counseling Center is available to students in need of support, Cody said.

Human biology junior Becca Bono, Ottenhoff’s sophomore year roommate, said via email there won’t be a day that goes by that she won’t think about Ottenhoff.

“Knowing Sally and being fortunate enough to have been able to call her one of my best friends is something I will cherish for the rest of my life,” Bono said. “I think I can speak for everyone when I say Sally will live through each and every one of us for the rest of our lives.”

Kinesiology junior Sally Ottenhoff died early Sunday morning as a result of a sledding accident.

Ottenhoff, a Grosse Pointe Park resident, was staying at Boyne Mountain Resort with her family in Boyne Falls, Mich.

“(Ottenhoff and a small group of friends) decided to sled down one of the ski hills between two and three o’clock in the morning,” Charlevoix County Sheriff Chuck Vondra confirmed. “She went down the hill and made impact with the building.”

Social work junior Olivia Simmons said she and Ottenhoff met in an ISS class their freshman year.

"She's smart, sassy, loving, knows what she wants out of life and is full of fire," Simmons said of Ottenhoff via email.

Simmons last spoke with Ottenhoff via Snapchat less than an hour before the accident.

"She looked like she was having so much fun," Simmons said. "Life alongside Sally was always full of laughter."

Psychology senior Alyssa Wojciechowicz also met Ottenhoff their freshman year, and said their friendship changed her as a person.

"There is not a day the rest of my life I will go without thinking of her," Wojciechowicz said via email. "She was (one) of the best people I had ever met, almost too good that you aspired to be as happy and outgoing as she was."

Wojciechowicz said Ottenhoff loved her family and friends above all.

"Her family was one of the most tight-knit families and all loved each other so much," Wojciechowicz said. "So many people are affected by this."

Ottenhoff's family could not be reached for comment.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody was unaware of Ottenhoff's death, but said other MSU officials might already know.

Share and discuss “MSU student dies from sledding accident in Boyne Falls” on social media.