Editorial: City smoking ban unneeded, pointless

East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows speaks during a city council meeting on Sept. 13, 2016 at East Lansing City Hall. The city council meets to take action on legislative matters on several Tuesdays of each month.

Following the recent crusade against the apparently dire social problem of smoking, the East Lansing City Council made a move to ban smoking on some public property late last year when most students were busy frantically cramming for exams. Like the on-campus ban enacted at the beginning of fall 2016, The State News rejects the move as unnecessary and over-reaching, especially considering the national decline of smoking rates to historically low levels.

City Council voted unanimously on the ordinance and the ban affects any space owned or controlled by the city and its parking lot when used for events. It does not apply to sidewalks and, unlike the on-campus ban, it does not address chewing tobacco or e-cigarettes.

A main argument used by Matt Phelan, an advocacy specialist for American Cancer Society and East Lansing resident, who spoke during the vote in December, was that smokers were being discourteous in public parks and especially around children. He asked the city council to "stop them." 

Once again, smokers, which as of 2014 constitute only 3 percent of MSU students who smoke daily, according to the 2014 National Collegiate Health Assessment and only 15 percent of adults according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have been made out to be a special kind of second-class citizen that only the courageous acts of local city council members can save us from. 

Although councilmember Susan Woods did vote for the ordinance, she originally argued at the meeting it was over-regulation and described the move as being like a "nanny city." Mayor Pro Tem Ruth Beier also suggested the ban would target international students, who smoke at higher rates than domestic ones. 

Though we recognize smoking is unhealthy and causes long-term health effects for both smokers and those who inhale secondhand smoke, there is no reason for more local regulation to control a problem that has been blown entirely out of proportion. 

The State News Editorial Board is made up of the Editor-in-chief Jake Allen, Managing Editor Cameron Macko, Campus Editor Rachel Fradette, City Editor Stephen Olschanski, Sports Editor Souichi Terada, Features Editor McKenna Ross, Copy Chief Casey Holland, Staff Representative Marie Weidmayer and Diversity Representative Madison O'Connor. 

Share and discuss “Editorial: City smoking ban unneeded, pointless” on social media.