Monday, May 13, 2024

Sparty's Cabin up for auction at MSU's Surplus Store

<p>The crowd at the opening of Sparty's Cabin pose for a photo on April 22, 2016 at Breslin Center.&nbsp;</p>

The crowd at the opening of Sparty's Cabin pose for a photo on April 22, 2016 at Breslin Center. 

Sparty’s Cabin, an environmentally sustainable “tiny house” built on a trailer, is now up for auction through a closed bid on the MSU Surplus Store’s website. The house will be on display on the front lawn of the Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture this Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to a press release from MSU Agriculture and Natural Resources

Introduced at Breslin Center in April, Sparty’s Cabin was built by 60 students during the course of six weeks using only recycled and donated materials, including lumber made from MSU trees. The house is fully livable, sleeping three and containing hookups for sewer, water and power systems, although it can be retrofitted to go “off the grid,” according to the release.

The current minimum bid is $35,000 and bidding will end on Dec. 6.

Associate Director for the School of Planning, Design and Construction Patricia Crawford said money earned from the sale of Sparty’s Cabin will be used to support another hands-on learning project for Planning, Design and Construction students in the coming year.

“Sure, they’ll own a tiny home when they’re done, but really they’re helping to support student learning,” Crawford said.

Crawford said the sale will also open up dialogue about the tiny house movement and lifestyle.

“It’s about valuing experiences over owning things,” Crawford said. “Sparty’s Cabin at 177 square feet is an extreme example. It’s very small, but it’s about making those important life decisions and where you put your money.”

Share and discuss “Sparty's Cabin up for auction at MSU's Surplus Store” on social media.