Editorial: The State News endorses Shkreli for U.S. Congress

The Nov. 8 election carries more importance than just the decision of who will be the next president of the United States. Closer to home, students and East Lansing residents will also have the opportunity to vote for a representative in the 8th Congressional District, which includes Ingham, Livingston and Clinton counties.

Keeping this in mind, The State News chooses to endorse Democratic candidate Suzanna Shkreli for the 8th Congressional District election.

Shkreli already has the backing of an endorsement from current President Barack Obama, and her youth would bring a freshness to the House seat. Shkreli currently works as a prosecutor, and if elected she’ll bring those same ideals to Congress with plans to work to pass the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, which would prevent workplace discrimination.

She also would work to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act, providing protection for survivors of domestic abuse. Considering the fact she already faces cases dealing with similar issues as a prosecutor, Shkreli’s experience would help bring these issues to the front lines and give a voice to those who might not feel they have one.

Arguably most appealing for college students and alumni, though, are her plans for tackling student loans and loan debt. Shkreli plans to make student loan debt refinanceable, similarly to how one can refinance a mortgage, which would lessen the burden that awaits most students after they graduate.

Shkreli recognizes the struggle alumni face when it comes to student loan debt after experiencing the same struggle herself. She paid her way through Oakland University and law school primarily through student loans, according to her website. Her firsthand experience dealing with student loan debt should push her to make alleviating it a priority should she be elected.

She’s a self-proclaimed fighter and has been called such by President Obama, who said in an article from The Detroit News that she “will stand up and fight to protect Social Security and Medicare, protect a woman’s right to choose and end the crushing burden of student loan debt.”

Shkreli is a candidate students can trust to make the issues that matter to them a priority, which is why The State News endorses Shkreli for the 8th Congressional District.

The State News Editorial Board is made up of the Editor-in-chief Jake Allen, Managing Editor Cameron Macko, Campus Editor Rachel Fradette, City Editor Josh Bender, Sports Editor Casey Harrison, Features Editor Connor Clark, Copy Chief Casey Holland, Diversity Representative Alexea Hankin and Staff Representative Stephen Olschanski.

Share and discuss “Editorial: The State News endorses Shkreli for U.S. Congress ” on social media.