Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Students react to Chelsea Clinton's campaign stop on campus

Chelsea Clinton gives a speech on Sept. 22, 2016 in the Union.

Students and supporters were captivated by Chelsea Clinton’s speech at the Union on Thursday. A line began to form by the main entrance of the Union at 5 p.m., and by 6 p.m. the line stretched almost to Grand River Avenue.

For many supporters, attending a Clinton campaign event wasn’t something they would have imagined doing a year ago.

“I hope she addresses Sanders supporters specifically,” Dan Martel, a comparative cultures and politics junior and former Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) supporter, said of Chelsea Clinton. “I think Chelsea of all people could do that well. Chelsea’s a lot younger. I think she’s more in touch.”

Although he’s always been a Republican, premedical freshman Don Martin said it wasn’t hard switching parties for this election. 

“I don’t feel that (Republican presidential nominee Donald) Trump is for the job,” he said. 

Many students hoped that Chelsea Clinton would address issues related to education.

“I hope Chelsea continues to talk about the problems that affect college students,” MSU College Democrats president Daniel Eggerding said.

Education junior Sarah Kennedy hoped to hear more about education funding. 

“I’d like to hear her address education — equal funding,” she said. “So that every kid has a chance to get an equal education, no matter what neighborhood they’re from.”

Spanish and social relations and policy sophomore Katherine Lechman stood in line just a few feet from the former Women’s Lounge.

“I’d like to hear her talk about women’s issues, I think it’s ironic where this is happening,” she said.

Chelsea Clinton’s speech touched on a number of issues, from sexual assault on college campuses to Black Lives Matter. She stopped to shake hands and take photos with several supporters before leaving the stage, an experience that charmed many students.

“It’s great to feel like you’re a part of the campaign,” Residential College in the Arts and Humanities freshman Johnathon Finch said. “She touched my phone.”

Sociology senior Katrina Groeller said she loved the speech. 

“It was so inspiring, and she talked about so many things that are relevant to us,” she said. “I’m so excited to vote for Hillary Clinton now.”

Biomedical laboratory sciences sophomore Parker Anderson stood outside the Union as Clinton supporters left, holding a sign supporting Jill Stein. 

“If I can get anybody to Google the Green Party, that’s a win for me,” he said. “Vote for whoever you think should be president.”

Share and discuss “Students react to Chelsea Clinton's campaign stop on campus” on social media.