Rundown for the DNC: Day 1

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) speaks during a rally on March 2, 2016 at Breslin Center.

PHILADELPHIA – TheDemocratic National Convention will begin under the guise of controversy. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the DNC chair, resigned on Sunday mired in controversy over the Wikileaks release of thousands of emails which conveyed a hard line of favorability toward Hillary Clinton over Sen. Bernie Sanders (V-I).

Included in the emails were statements which called out Bernie Sanders and outlined attempts to block Sen. Sanders from getting near the party’s nomination.

“Debbie Wasserman Schultz has made the right decision for the future of the Democratic Party,” Sanders said in a statement. “The party leadership must also always remain impartial in the presidential nominating process, something which did not occur in the 2016 race.”

Wasserman Schultz revoked her speaking position and adhered to calls for her step down. She agreed to do so signaling she would leave her post following the conclusion.

“I know that electing Hillary Clinton as our next president is critical for America’s future,” Wasserman Schultz said in a statement. “I look forward to serving as a surrogate for her campaign in Florida and across the country to ensure her victory.”

Furthermore she went on to say in the statement that “going forward, the best way for me to accomplish those goals is to step down as party chair at the end of this convention.”

At 4 p.m., the gavel will knock and the speakers list will begin. Primetime speakers will include First Lady Michelle Obama. Obama has yet to comment on the controversy of Melania Trump's speech at the Republican National Convention. Both speeches come exactly week apart. 

Sen. Bernie Sanders (V-I) and DREAMer immigration activist Astrid Silva will also headline the night theme of "United Together." 

The theme will focus on families and have speakers from Pam Livengood, Carla and Francisca Ortiz and Anastasia Somoza. Clinton has a connection to all four women. Additional speakers have yet to be assigned a day.

Check back with The State News for updates on protests and to follow live coverage on the speakers on Twitter at @thesnews, @SOlschanski and @Rachel_Fradette.

Share and discuss “Rundown for the DNC: Day 1” on social media.