"So far, so good," Police Chief Calvin Williams said on RNC

A religious group holds signs in protest on July 19, 2016 at Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio. Hundreds of protestors gathered together to protest the recent violence between police officers and the public.

As day three of the Republican National Convention opens, the City of Cleveland and Police Department held a press update Wednesday morning to discuss Tuesday's crime. 

Police Chief Calvin Williams said the demonstrations in Public Square made "quite a busy early afternoon." Public Square filled with several protests groups and the numbers grew quickly.

Williams said after the large Public Square gathering in the late afternoon, the city calmed down at night.

"The last three days have been pretty even," Williams said. "Not too much going on."

Williams said when protests got heated, officers handled it accordingly.

"No arrests yesterday," Williams said. Currently, there have only been 5 arrests relative to the RNC.

Williams said the bikes are used tacitly with making barriers and keeping people safe. He said they are used to deescalate situations.

"I am still a police officer, and if something happens and I'm there, I'll handle it," Williams said. 

Yesterday, Williams was in the field during the 7 p.m. conference, so questions were asked of his whereabouts.

"We don't stand back and let people heat it up," Williams said. "We try to make sure we interact."

Mayor Frank Jackson said "instantaneous decision-making" is essential because of how quickly things happen.

Williams said when the demonstrations reach a high-level, then officers separate them and give them time to decompress. 

"Things that people would use to hurt someone, we restrict that," Williams said. Any prohibited items brought into the event zone will be confiscated, he said.

"Their aim is disruption, property destruction," Williams said about the protesters who ran from Public Square to 12th Street. The group wore bandanas over their faces. 

He said what they noticed about them and confiscated from them show that they want to do harm and disrupt.

"So far, so good our officers are responding when we needed to," Williams said. "We've given people space to do what they need to do."'

Share and discuss “"So far, so good," Police Chief Calvin Williams said on RNC” on social media.