Hillary Clinton accepts nomination, says 'We'll fix it together'

Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the crowed during her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.  Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election.
Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the crowed during her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election.

PHILADELPHIA – Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made history Tuesday when she became the first woman to be a nominee for a major political party in the United States.

Clinton declared in front of the crowd Thursday her acceptance of the nomination

“I accept your nomination for President of the United States,” Clinton said.

Clinton praised the Obama administration and the progress made throughout it.

“America is stronger because of President Obama’ leadership,” Clinton said.

She made a call for Democratic unity with Sen. Bernie Sanders' supporters to join the fight against Donald Trump, saying, “Your cause is our cause.”

She went on to talk about Trump’s “I alone can fix it,” attitude, which he proclaimed during his acceptance speech a week ago in Cleveland. 

“Americans don't say: “I alone can fix it,” Clinton said. “We say: “We'll fix it together.”

She reflected on her work leading up to the nomination and her humble beginnings.

“I get it that some people just don’t know what to make of me,” Clinton said.

Her mother, Dorothy, was a part of her speech and as she said,”She was saved by the kindness of others.”

The Children’s Health Insurance program, one of Clinton’s self described proud accomplishments was brought up in several speeches on her behalf. It covers eight million children every year, she said.

She thanked all of the people who spoke at the convention and said, “I've met so many people who motivate me to keep fighting for change.”

Her main focus in the second half of the speech was her momentous milestone and what she would do as president.

“Standing here as my mother's daughter, and my daughter's mother, I'm so happy this day has come,” Clinton said. “Happy for grandmothers and little girls and everyone in between.”

She highlighted what her ideas are that will eventually become plans for the county.

“We're going to give small businesses a boost,” Clinton said. “Make it easier to get credit.”

Also, she talked about Donald Trump and his lack of qualification for President.

“Donald Trump says, and this is a quote, “I know more about ISIS than the generals do,” Clinton said.

Clinton said, “No, Donald, you don't. “

She said his plans are nothing more than scams and that he really means what he says.

“Here's the sad truth, there is no other Donald Trump...this is it,” Clinton said.

She concluded and said, “Yes, America's destiny is ours to choose. So let's be stronger together, my fellow Americans.”

Following her speech, balloons dropped from the ceiling of Wells Fargo Center and confetti sprinkled the floor. Her family joined her on stage and Clinton made her exit.

Share and discuss “Hillary Clinton accepts nomination, says 'We'll fix it together'” on social media.