Column: Why Gordie Howe was more than a great hockey player

People know Gordie Howe as a man of great talent, a pinnacle of success in the sports world. But growing up in a family where hockey was a way of life, Gordie was a part of the family.

My hockey education began as a pyramid. First, I learned to skate. Then, the details of the game. Lastly at the top of the pyramid, I learned about the great ones, or in my case, the greatest.

My teachers, both my father and grandfather, showed me the ropes, Gordie’s name was a part of my vocabulary before I even had one. It’s just how a kid of Hockeytown is raised.

I once asked my dad about Gordie and why they mentioned him often. As a young kid, I hadn’t quite understood his greatness.

The first thing most people mention when they discuss Gordie Howe is his influence on hockey, and his overwhelming talent would then follow that. The day I inquired my dad on Gordie, I was given a different story. A story that would change my whole outlook on the greatest hockey player ever.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Howe, but I thank God for him every day.

Here’s the story I was told:

Around 20 years ago, my grandmother was diagnosed with Pick’s disease, an aggressive form of dementia, that would take her at the age of 73. She eventually lost all her long term memory and brain function. She needed 24/7 care for a rare and cruel disease that changed the entire aspect of my family life. You could go see her, sit with her and she would not even acknowledge your existence, some days she would act out through tantrums.

My grandfather cared for her every day until he couldn’t do it on his own, a realization that I cannot even fathom. My dad and uncle had no choice but to put her in a home. Her condition only worsened. There is no hope. There is no cure.

My grandfather was losing the love of his life and all he could do was watch. Even as a child I could see him break down, although he tried to keep it from me. He never wanted his grandchildren to know the pain he was feeling. Little did he know, I saw it each time he looked at her.

In the middle of all this loss and frustration, life gave him a glimpse of positivity.

Life has a strange way of creating juxtapositions before our eyes. Another man going through this battle every day was none other than Mr. Hockey.

Gordie Howe’s wife, Colleen Howe, who managed his business, succumbed to the same disease that my grandmother had obtained. She passed in 2009. We lost my grandmother the year before.

A man my grandfather admired so much was going through the same journey and thus they evidently linked.

Through a family connection to the Howes, my aunt got my grandfather’s phone number to Gordie.

One day, my grandfather received that call. He picked up the phone and had a bright smile.

My dad said my grandfather was on the phone for about a half hour. He has no idea what they discussed, but he assumes it was of the battles of their wives' diseases. All he knows is that when my grandfather hung up the phone, his disposition had improved. He found someone who knew the struggles of this disease.

His contact with my grandfather was not recurring - they only spoke once or twice after the initial call. However, it left an impact on a man whose hopes were limited and whose heart had sunk.

I have a phrase I like to use for great people, it’s called 360. I can only infer as to what Gordie was like in other parts of his life. But in my house, through his talent, heart and family life, he nailed it in every direction.

Much like my grandfather, he lived his life in a way that is to be admired.

My grandfather passed last July. Coming up on the one year anniversary has been bittersweet. I miss him and see him as I go about my day.

When I heard the news on Gordie’s passing, I shed a tear not only for the loss of a great man, but the gift he had given.

I could never repay him for the service he did for someone I love. I can just live my life in the way that he did, we all need to look out for one another.

It was this touch of selflessness that made Gordie so endearing to thousands of people in Detroit and outside of it. In a time when we see athletes with lavish lifestyles that seem out of touch with reality, Gordie remained himself — humble and willing to do all he could for ordinary people.

Tomorrow, I will remember the great man who lifted Lord Stanley’s Cup four times with the Detroit Red Wings, who changed the game I love in ways no one could encapsulate with words.

Today, I will mourn the loss of a selfless man who through a phone call made my grandfather’s life a bit brighter.

Thank you Gordie for being more than just Mr. Hockey to a lot of people.

Share and discuss “Column: Why Gordie Howe was more than a great hockey player” on social media.