From zombies to kayaks, MSU hosts slew of interesting summer classes

Students from an introductory sailing course practice on Lake Lansing Wednesday. The MSU Sailing Center is part of MSU’s Department of Intramural Sports and Recreative Services and counts as a one-credit kinesiology course for MSU students.

The department of kinesiology hosts a variety of exotic courses designed to get students outside during the summer weather.

One such course, titled Great Lakes Sailing, teaches students of any skill level the experience of sailing the seas “on a very large 34 foot sloop rigged cruising sailing vessel.”

The course is helmed, literally, by Captain Joe Smith, who has been teaching the class since 1986.

Smith said students should not be intimidated by the size of the boat, saying, “There is something interesting about big boat sailing - it is very simple.”

The fun offered by the department of kinesiology does not end there. Also on offer is the class: Intro to Aquatic Paddle Sports.

The class takes students out to Lake Lansing near Haslett, Michigan to learn the ropes of kayaking, stand up paddle boarding and canoeing. In addition, the course provides all necessary equipment - from boats to life jackets.

These courses are both offered multiple times throughout the summer, allowing students plenty of opportunity to fit them into their summer schedule. Another course on offer for the summer semester is a class dedicated to the theme of survival.

The class, titled “Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse”, is taught exclusively as an online course.

The class delves into the subject of how humans react during times of crisis, and why some survive while others succumb.

The course website states, “Students in survival groups will face multiple challenges and tasks as they attempt to survive the catastrophic event, escape death and preserve the future of civilization. For the ability to survive ultimately rests not with the individual but the group.”

The course is open to both non-MSU students and the general public.

Share and discuss “From zombies to kayaks, MSU hosts slew of interesting summer classes” on social media.