MSU dining halls experience changes for summer

Students dine Wednesday noon time at The Gallery cafeteria inside Snyder-Phillips Hall. Students are concerned about the crowdedness of campus cafeterias, especially during high traffic hours of the day. Justin Wan/The State News

Alongside changes to the hours of operation for the various dining halls on campus, the remaining dining halls are also subject to some changes throughout the summer months. 

Many of these changes include downsizing, such as the axing of late-night dining from Brody Square and The Gallery. 

Another is the streamlining of The Gallery's Brimstone Grille menu, pictured below.

May 5     

May 19    

Katlynn Roden, human resources student assistant for The Gallery dining hall, said that the biggest difference between the main school year and summer are the changes in hours. 

"It's a little inconvenient, but we definitely just don't have enough people to be open all the time," Roden said.

Patrick Blair, business and hospitality senior dining at the Gallery, said, "I miss pub menu specifically here. They usually have that from 2:30-4, and then again from 8:30-10, but they don't have that."

Blair continued by saying, "I think the food quality is better in the summer, just because they can take more time with it. They're not rushing everything."

Reese Macri, a finance major finishing up his bachelors, said, "Obviously, the selection isn't there — I can't go to Shaw or Akers if I feel like the menu over there is better." 

Julia Youngs, a student in marketing research, voiced her concerns by saying, "Their soup selection is worse and their vegetarian options aren't as good [compared to the fall]. But the lines are shorter!"

Blair praised the cafs, saying, "They do a great job and they provide a lot of food and stuff in general for everybody that's working, and especially for the staff — that's huge." 

Share and discuss “MSU dining halls experience changes for summer” on social media.