UAB's annual Drag Show gets 'wild'

Battle Creek resident Lily Beach performs during the MSU Official Drag Show on April 15, 2016 at the International Center.

MSU’s classic “Go Green” chant was answered with “Go Wild” at the annual MSU University Activities Board’s Official Drag Show Friday night.

The show was free for MSU students, and was jungle-themed. Animal print sunglasses were handed out to spectators.

Political science junior Richard Metaj is the director of racial, ethnic and progressive affairs for the Residence Halls Association and had a large role in planning the event. One of his decisions was to make MSU's Official Drag Show two separate shows instead of one longer performance.

“I’m really excited about this year’s drag show because the theme is much more bigger and out there,” Metaj said. “Many volunteer students have helped out so that there will be a lot of awesome rainforest and jungle-themed decorations everywhere.”

UAB and the MSU Residence Halls Association brought the show to students, which proved to be a very exciting and unorthodox experience for many of the students.

“Not a lot of people have ever experienced a drag show, and so this is a really great experience for MSU students,” English education senior Gabrielle Groce said. “The drag queens and kings will sing and dance and do lots of crazy things. There is always a surprise, always, you never know what’s going to happen. It will be lively and upbeat all night, it never will never cease to surprise you."

Professional drag kings and queens performed in the show, hailing from across the Midwest. They were hired from the local Spiral Bar and other nearby clubs.

One performer was drag queen Ace DeVille, who has performed at the MSU drag show several times.

DeVille performed sets to P!nk’s cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Lady Gaga’s tribute to David Bowie. DeVille felt very inspired by the music, and created costumes for these sets.

DeVille said MSU's Official Drag Show is always a fun experience as a performer, and the MSU students serve as a very different audience.

“It’s normally the kids’ here first experience with drag,” DeVille said. ”I really really love the reaction that we get, because it feels like we are in a concert setting. When I’m there and the kids are screaming like that, I feel like Michael Jackson. You know what I mean? It’s magical.” 

Share and discuss “UAB's annual Drag Show gets 'wild' ” on social media.