Tuesday, May 14, 2024

At least 375 people symptomatic of norovirus after attending events at Kellogg Center

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed that the recent outbreak of illness at MSU's Kellogg Center was caused by norovirus, according to a press release.

At least 375 people exhibited symptoms of norovirus infection after attending events at the Kellogg Center from February 16 through the 21, according to interviews conducted by the Ingham County Health Department.

The Kellogg Center suspended food services on February 22 and 23 to allow for a full cleaning. It reopened on February 24.

Cause of the outbreak is still being determined, a difficult task since norovirus spreads quickly and given the number of people who go in and out of Kellogg, ascertaining the original source of infection proves challenging.

"A very small amount can literally infect a thousand people. We are analyzing data, but there may not be one identifiable source," Linda Vail, Ingham County Health Department's health officer, said in the release.

MSU's outbreak of norovirus follows from one that took place at the University of Michigan, infecting up to 150 students on February 19. While coincidental, these two cases do not reflect a larger statewide trend Vail said in an interview. She added that norovirus is a fairly typical disease for this time of year.

David Weismantel, the university physician for MSU, advises that the norovirus spread can be countered with good hygiene practices, such as washing hands and self-isolating when sick.

Norovirus is mainly spread through direct contact with someone that's infected or touching a contaminated surface. Common symptoms of norovirus include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain, with most symptoms subsiding after one to three days.

Share and discuss “At least 375 people symptomatic of norovirus after attending events at Kellogg Center” on social media.