MSU alert system prepared for shooting scenario, officials say

In the fallout of the tragic shooting that took place in Kalamazoo last Saturday, leaving seven dead and one injured, Western Michigan University students berated their alert system for not notifying them of such an eminent danger so close to campus.

A recent article by MLive highlighted the frustrations of Western Michigan students regarding their own university failing to warn them about an active shooter on social media.

MSU officials and police officers, on the other hand, said they feel MSU's alert system would act promptly in the face of an event like the shooting in Kalamazoo on Thursday.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody said MSU’s alert system would respond almost instantaneously and efficiently to such an event.

MSU has a “very comprehensive approach” to reach as many people as possible to alert of safety or security, he said.

An example would be the robbery that occurred in North Case Hall a few weeks ago. Students received texts, emails and even phone calls warning of the perpetrator that might be lurking around South Neighborhood.

The system itself is run by a third party, independent software company and the MSU police are in charge of sending out the alerts.

Cody also said it is important to note the MSU alert is only one avenue for maintaining safety and security on campus.

The office of Communications and Brand Strategy, where Cody works, responds to warnings issued by MSU police almost immediately by posting the warnings on the MSU’s homepage as well as social media outlets for the university. The update would be up “within minutes” of the event occurring, Cody said.

Cody drew attention to a network of public announcement speakers designed for the unlikely event of an emergency.

MSU police also remain confident the organized alerts will not fail the students and faculty of MSU. MSU police Capt. Penny Fischer stressed an interesting duality the MSU police department explores when faced with an emergency situation. On one hand, she said it is absolutely vital to quickly issue a warning to the MSU community regarding an eminent danger.

However, it is also important to ensure the accuracy of the warning to optimize the safety of the community.

This is why, Fischer said, pre-prepared templates are sent out and then followed up with a more detailed advisory regarding the situation. In an emergency situation it is hard to get accurate information, she said, compounded by the delicacy of matters such as these.

Fischer said MSU officers put in an incredible amount of work goes into compiling information sending alerts, she said.

Cody also said he, as well as his office, is constantly and actively working with MSU police to uphold in confidence a “robust system,” he said, one that ensures the proper response to emergencies and the safety of those on campus.

Despite recent changes in the MSU alert system, it has faced issues of timeliness in the past. MSU took criticism for its handling of the February 2014 shooting claiming the life of an MSU student was only announced via an MSU alert two hours after it happened in Cedar Village. Many were first notified through rumors and by friends on social media. 

Share and discuss “MSU alert system prepared for shooting scenario, officials say” on social media.