MSU Counter Cuisine Club changing the way students eat

<p>Photo courtesy of the MSU Counter Cuisine Club.&nbsp;</p>

Photo courtesy of the MSU Counter Cuisine Club. 

Computer science senior Ethan Boyd sat in class learning about the potential dangers of food processing. Figures, such as a projected nine percent of all greenhouse gas emissions come from animal agricultural in the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and many others opened his eyes growing concerns. He was not alone.

Originally a final group project, the MSU Counter Cuisine Club was born from friends hoping to educate the students about environmental harms of processed foods while establishing a fun food community.

“It really changed how I ate,” Boyd said. “(The club) is a way to get people thinking about what they eat.”

Zoology sophomore Emily Bernhardt said she hopes the club helps students gain a better understanding of different diets.

“When I was vegan, it was very hard to eat in the cafeterias, I basically lived off bread,” Bernhardt said. “My goal was to educate how to eat healthfully for people with dietary issues.”

MSU Counter Cuisine Club has introduced a series of events called the Heritage Series.

Every month the club will hold an event where members cook meals inspired by different parts of the world. The theme for Feb. 6 is Scandinavia, club president and Residential College in the Arts and Humanities junior Sarah Teppen said.

Other Heritage Series ideas include Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines.

Many of the dishes the club prepare do not contain meat.

“Meat is the least environmentally friendly food that we eat,” anthropology senior Andrew Hsu said. “We don’t discourage eating meat, but it is something to be aware of.”

The club meets at 7 p.m. every Monday in room 113 in Bessey Hall. There is no membership cost, however when the club hosts an event, members split the cost of groceries. The average cost per person is usually between $3 and $5, Teppen said.

“We are very aware of the environmental impacts of our diets,” Hsu said. “We definitely try to encourage people to lead a healthy lifestyle.”  

Share and discuss “MSU Counter Cuisine Club changing the way students eat ” on social media.