MSU club football finishes No. 5 in final NCFA rankings, garners three All-Americans

<p>From left to right, sophomore running back Zach Greene, senior wide receiver Jake Sterling and junior wide receiver Alec Papes watch the game from the bench during the MSU Club Football game against Wright State University on Oct. 25, 2015 at Hope Sports Complex, 5801 North Aurelius Road, in Lansing. The team began just a year ago and has been undefeated this season. </p>

From left to right, sophomore running back Zach Greene, senior wide receiver Jake Sterling and junior wide receiver Alec Papes watch the game from the bench during the MSU Club Football game against Wright State University on Oct. 25, 2015 at Hope Sports Complex, 5801 North Aurelius Road, in Lansing. The team began just a year ago and has been undefeated this season.

MSU’s club football team, during its inaugural season, finished No. 5 in the National Club Football Association (NCFA) rankings. The club achieved a 4-1 overall record and its only loss was to the eventual national runner-up, Miami University in Ohio, by a score of 35-23.

“In terms of goals, (the club) accomplished everything (they) set out to do, and then some,” head coach Al Manfroni said.

The club allowed just 11.4 points per game, and in the process, senior defensive tackle Devin Schlossberg was voted first team All-American.

“I went to the official NCFA site and I saw first team,” Schlossberg said. “I didn’t expect it, but it was amazing. ... The only reason I look somewhat good is because my defense is really good.”

Junior defensive end Patrick Loewen was a difference maker, too, and was selected as a second team All-American. Offensively, senior wide receiver Jake Sterling led the team to a 37-points-per-game average and also received second team honors.

“What we’re doing is no different than the higher up levels,” Schlossberg said. “But when it boils down to it, you still put on pads the same, you still put on helmets the same and you still run full force toward another guy to tackle him, all the same.

“Nothing changes. You can’t take away from the sport just because it’s club. It just has the club title. I mean it’s ultimately nothing.”

At Sterling’s side was junior quarterback and captain Vinny Costanzo.

“It was a great honor to be the captain,” Costanzo said. “We made a lot of good friends on the team. It made it a lot easier to be in that leadership role, getting to know those guys really well.”

The team was composed of 60 players picked from more than 100 who tried out.

For club president Chris Wesolowski, those guys made his day-one vision come true.

“We have some really talented players that are throwing guys around, that are making crazy catches,” Wesolowski said. “We had 60 really talented guys that really made a great first season.”

The growing pains of starting a club are over, Wesolowski said, and he is glad to know what it takes going into the second season. All the logistics and planning can take its toll, but knowing his team has what it takes to win a national championship is all he needs to continue the hard work.

But for now, the club football team eagerly trains in hopes of a National Championship Bowl next season.

Share and discuss “MSU club football finishes No. 5 in final NCFA rankings, garners three All-Americans ” on social media.